Velocity divided by Acceleration gives distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation s = vt, where s represents distance, v represents velocity, and t represents time. It also clarifies that s represents distance in meters, while s as a symbol in the kinematic equations represents seconds. The conversation also addresses a common mistake of confusing s as distance with the unit s for seconds.
Mongster
See I figured that since Velocity = m/s
Acceleration = m/s^2

If I have velocity divided by Acceleration
----> m/s ÷ m/s^2 = s
Relevant equations

Velocity --> s/t
Acceleration --> (v-u)/t
The attempt at a solution
My idea seems reasonable to me but somehow I couldn't apply this logic to related questions. Based on my understanding, velocity divided by acceleration gives distance as 's' but it don't seems applicable when I attempted questions with this approach.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mongster said:
. Based on my understanding, velocity divided by acceleration gives distance as 's' .

No it doesn't. You're mixing symbols with units, s is short for seconds. eg velocity is metres per second (m/s)
In the kinematic equations (SUVAT) 's' is used to represent distance (which has units of metres)

s is distance in metres (m)
u is initial velocity in metres per second (m/s)
v is final velocity in metres per second (m/s)
a is acceleration in metres per second squared (m/s2)
t is time in seconds (s)

Likes Mongster
Oh wait... I see the mistake now oh my, hahaha! It is really stupid... *cringing*
But thanks a lot for the detailed explanation there, appreciate it really!

Cheers!

Likes weirdoguy
Mongster said:
See I figured that since Velocity = m/s
Acceleration = m/s^2

If I have velocity divided by Acceleration
----> m/s ÷ m/s^2 = s
Relevant equations

Velocity --> s/t
Acceleration --> (v-u)/t
The attempt at a solution
My idea seems reasonable to me but somehow I couldn't apply this logic to related questions. Based on my understanding, velocity divided by acceleration gives distance as 's' but it don't seems applicable when I attempted questions with this approach.
That's only because the masses (m) canceled out. :rolleyes: o_O :confused:

Yes. s is correct. How long it takes to reach the velocity. "Long" being the "distance". It is something like a period vs frequency.

Don't confuse velocity x time = distance.

Dumisa Ngwenya said:
Yes. s is correct. How long it takes to reach the velocity. "Long" being the "distance". It is something like a period vs frequency.

Don't confuse velocity x time = distance.
Ummmm... What? How long it takes to reach the velocity... from what starting point?

Mongster even admitted that they confused the s (distance) with the unit s (seconds.) The problem was already solved 7 years ago, no need to add to it.

-Dan

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Question 1:

What is the formula for distance using velocity and acceleration?

The formula for distance using velocity and acceleration is distance = velocity/acceleration. This means that if you divide the velocity by the acceleration, you will get the distance traveled.

Question 2:

How is velocity divided by acceleration used to calculate distance?

Velocity divided by acceleration is used to calculate distance because it represents the change in velocity over time. By dividing the velocity by the acceleration, we can determine how far an object has traveled during a given period of time.

Question 3:

Why is velocity divided by acceleration important in physics?

Velocity divided by acceleration is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept in understanding motion. It allows us to calculate the distance an object has traveled, which is crucial in many real-world applications such as calculating the speed of a moving vehicle or predicting the trajectory of a projectile.

Question 4:

Can velocity divided by acceleration be negative?

Yes, velocity divided by acceleration can be negative. This can occur when an object is decelerating or slowing down, resulting in a negative value for acceleration. In this case, the distance traveled will also be negative, indicating that the object is moving in the opposite direction.

Question 5:

What are the units for distance when using the velocity divided by acceleration formula?

The units for distance when using the velocity divided by acceleration formula are typically meters (m) or kilometers (km), depending on the units used for velocity and acceleration. It is important to use consistent units in the formula to ensure accurate calculations.