1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity emparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.5 inch spring is .75 inches at solid length when fully compressed. The spring force is rated at 400 lbs per inch. A 3 kilogram mass will be pushed by the spring. What is the velocity of the mass at the instant the spring has fully decompressed. It will take the spring 1/20 of a second to decompress

2. Relevant equation

An equation was offered to me by a tutor as follows

V=(2F*t2)/3.14M

Where F is the force of the spring in newtons, T2 is the time it takes for the spring to decompress , M is the mass being pushed

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have any trouble solving this equation because I have all the variables. What troubles me is I dont think it makes intuitive sense because of the T2 term. The slower the spring decompresses the more the velocity goes up, which just doesnt seem logical

I am seeking comments , and possibly an alternative formula.

The formula above was derived by use of hooks law and the F=MA resolved into a differential equation, and I cant follow the derivation well enough to see if there was a mistake

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I don't recognize the given formula, and as you say it doesn't appear to behave properly. I'm thinking that it may be an effort to use a mass-spring oscillator analysis to determine a velocity at a specific time in the cycle. Otherwise I can't see why there appears to be a pi value in it.

I would suggest that you approach this using conservation of energy and ignore the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted