Velocity emparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
NTL01
Messages
21
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


A 1.5 inch spring is .75 inches at solid length when fully compressed. The spring force is rated at 400 lbs per inch. A 3 kilogram mass will be pushed by the spring. What is the velocity of the mass at the instant the spring has fully decompressed. It will take the spring 1/20 of a second to decompress

2. Relevant equation

An equation was offered to me by a tutor as follows

V=(2F*t2)/3.14M

Where F is the force of the spring in Newtons, T2 is the time it takes for the spring to decompress , M is the mass being pushed

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't have any trouble solving this equation because I have all the variables. What troubles me is I don't think it makes intuitive sense because of the T2 term. The slower the spring decompresses the more the velocity goes up, which just doesn't seem logical

I am seeking comments , and possibly an alternative formula.

The formula above was derived by use of hooks law and the F=MA resolved into a differential equation, and I can't follow the derivation well enough to see if there was a mistake
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recognize the given formula, and as you say it doesn't appear to behave properly. I'm thinking that it may be an effort to use a mass-spring oscillator analysis to determine a velocity at a specific time in the cycle. Otherwise I can't see why there appears to be a pi value in it.

I would suggest that you approach this using conservation of energy and ignore the time.