Velocity emparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a 3 kilogram mass when pushed by a 1.5 inch spring with a spring force of 400 lbs per inch. The given equation V=(2F*t2)/3.14M does not seem to make intuitive sense due to the T2 term. The suggestion is made to approach the problem using conservation of energy and ignoring the time.
NTL01

Homework Statement

A 1.5 inch spring is .75 inches at solid length when fully compressed. The spring force is rated at 400 lbs per inch. A 3 kilogram mass will be pushed by the spring. What is the velocity of the mass at the instant the spring has fully decompressed. It will take the spring 1/20 of a second to decompress

2. Relevant equation

An equation was offered to me by a tutor as follows

V=(2F*t2)/3.14M

Where F is the force of the spring in Newtons, T2 is the time it takes for the spring to decompress , M is the mass being pushed

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any trouble solving this equation because I have all the variables. What troubles me is I don't think it makes intuitive sense because of the T2 term. The slower the spring decompresses the more the velocity goes up, which just doesn't seem logical

I am seeking comments , and possibly an alternative formula.

The formula above was derived by use of hooks law and the F=MA resolved into a differential equation, and I can't follow the derivation well enough to see if there was a mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recognize the given formula, and as you say it doesn't appear to behave properly. I'm thinking that it may be an effort to use a mass-spring oscillator analysis to determine a velocity at a specific time in the cycle. Otherwise I can't see why there appears to be a pi value in it.

I would suggest that you approach this using conservation of energy and ignore the time.

1. What is velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring?

Velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring refers to the speed at which the mass moves after being released from a compressed spring. It is a result of potential energy being converted into kinetic energy as the spring decompresses.

2. How is velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring calculated?

The velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring can be calculated using the equation v = √(2k/m), where v is velocity, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring?

The velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring is affected by the spring constant, the mass of the object, and the initial compression of the spring. A stiffer spring, lighter mass, and greater compression will result in a higher velocity.

4. Is the velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring constant?

No, the velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring is not constant. It is dependent on the factors mentioned above and will change with different conditions.

5. Can the velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring be used to determine the spring constant?

Yes, the velocity imparted to a mass by the decompression of a spring can be used to determine the spring constant using the rearranged equation k = m(v^2/2), where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity. The value of the spring constant will remain constant for a specific spring, regardless of the mass or initial compression used.