Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity from using only weight mass and kilogram force?

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    i was wondering about counting velocity only from weight mass and from kilogram force (like force from rocket thruster)

ex: there's a rocket in space, its weight is 63 metric tons and the rocket thruster output is 128 tons. i won't include the G force, cause i wanna look the velocity when it's in space.

is there a formula to count velocity from that kind of category? of course the velocity would be km/h

to make it simple for the kilogram force, i try to convert 128 tons force to newton, which is 125,5251.2 newton

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

F = ma everywhere

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    um, can you explain...?

i'm a little idiot to physics, so can you please explain step by step how can get that formula to fit the description above...?

5. Apr 20, 2013 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Force in Newtons, Mass in kilograms and acceleration in metres per second squared.
    The velocity will depend on how long the force has been applied. V = at

BTW kilogram or a tonne is not a force. A force is measured in Newtons in SI units.
    What do you actually want to know and what do you mean by "count velocity"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook