1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of an apple before strikes the surface of a white dwarf.

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An apple is dropped from a height of 12.8*10^6 m above the surface of the white dwarf. With what speed does the apple strike the surface of the white dwarf?

M of white dwarf= 1.99*10^30
    gravity of white dwarf= 3.29*10^6

2. Relevant equations

Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(deltaX)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried doing this v=srqt( 2(3.29*10^6)(12.8*10^6 ) and my result was far of the real answer i got 9.17*10^6 m/s and the answer sheet showed 5.28 *10^6 m/s.

What did I do wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ScienceGeek24 :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    that's only for constant acceleration

a white dwarf is only about the size of the Earth, so 107 m is a long way up

you'll need the radius …

isn't there a relation between the radius and mass of a white dwarf? :smile:

4. Apr 1, 2012 #3
    yes a=Gm/r^2 that's how i got the acceleration of the white dwarf

The radius is equal of the earth's radius which is 6.37*10^2 and the mass was the same the sun which was 1.99*10^30. However, I still don't understand your question.

5. Apr 1, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll need to find the gravitational acceleration as a function of distance, and integrate (or use potential energy). :wink:

6. Apr 1, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

tim's suggestion referred to super-scripts, not the whole post, so your post would look like:
    BTW: Earth's radius is significantly greater than 6.37*102m !

7. Apr 1, 2012 #6
    The thing is that i don't think this problem should be base with integrals, it has to be an easier way, sqrt(3.27*106)(12.8*106+6.37*106) and still i don't get the right answer.

I mean there has to be another factor that I am not taking into account. I know this problem does not need integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook