Velocity of an object with varying mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nasa123123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 1K views
Nasa123123
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
I am working on a problem where a box is moving on a frictionless surface with velocity v0, and is gaining mass by the rate of dm/dt = a. There are no external forces working on the box. The problem is to find an expression for the velocity as a function of time as the mass increases. The rate of change in mass is just given as «a» and I interpret this as it is not supposed to be a variable in the differential equation.
Relevant Equations
F = ma = m dP/dt = m dv/dt
I have tried several things but I am a little uncertain if I’m thinking right so a little hint goes a long way. I think I have to use the law of conservation of momentum as the collision between the raindrops and the box is inelastic. But I am unsure how to set up the equation.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of m * (dv / dt) try this:
d(m*v) / dt.

When mass is constant, they are equivalent. What does your problem say about external forces?
 
scottdave said:
Instead of m * (dv / dt) try this:
d(m*v) / dt.

When mass is constant, they are equivalent. What does your problem say about external forces?
There are no external forces working on the box.
 
scottdave said:
d(m*v) / dt
Ummm... I wage a personal war against using that to encompass a varying mass (and I'm not alone).
In the real world, the mass of a closed system does not change. If the mass is increasing it is coming from somewhere else, and it does so with its own momentum. Using d(mv)/dt happens to work if that momentum is zero in the reference frame.
In the present case, it seems these are raindrops, and I would guess they arrive with a velocity normal to that of the box (@Nasa123123 , please confirm). So you would get away with it in this case.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Orodruin, jbriggs444 and PeroK
haruspex said:
Ummm... I wage a personal war against using that to encompass a varying mass (and I'm not alone).
In the real world, the mass of a closed system does not change. If the mass is increasing it is coming from somewhere else, and it does so with its own momentum. Using d(mv)/dt happens to work if that momentum is zero in the reference frame.
In the present case, it seems these are raindrops, and I would guess they arrive with a velocity normal to that of the box (@Nasa123123 , please confirm). So you would get away with it in this case.
Yes, the raindrops are falling vertically from the sky with no impact from wind or other forces.
 
Nasa123123 said:
Yes, the raindrops are falling vertically from the sky with no impact from wind or other forces.
As I wrote, you can use @scottdave's equation because the raindrops bring no horizontal momentum with them.
A more rigorous approach is to consider the horizontal momentum of the box+rain system. This is conserved, so the rate at which the rain gains momentum equals the rate at which the (dry) box loses it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave
haruspex said:
Ummm... I wage a personal war against using that to encompass a varying mass (and I'm not alone).
In the real world, the mass of a closed system does not change. If the mass is increasing it is coming from somewhere else, and it does so with its own momentum. Using d(mv)/dt happens to work if that momentum is zero in the reference frame.
I support your cause! If one used d(mv)/dt=0 blindly one would build very poor rockets.