Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of sheep in a vacuum

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Rather than resurrect the old thread, I am re-posting. This article always brings tears to my eyes and is such a gem, it would be a shame for new members to miss it.

Posted in Science, 24th August 2007 15:06 GMT

Of course, you will need to read the preceding page to get the measurements used. Ok, since many of you will never actualy read the article, here are the measurements.

The main part is, of course "Velocity of sheep in a vacuum"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/vulture_central_standards/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Dang! What's with all this km/sec crap???? Can't we have more understandable units of velocity, like furlongs per fortnight? I hate the metric system.

4. Mar 29, 2009 #3

Evo

:tongue2:

5. Mar 30, 2009 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Heck this almost made me laugh, but then i remembered how many times i had taken a gnats cock off a shaft to get the correct fit.
    Then there is doctoring, doctoring can be adding/ subtracting material or changing its shape, but you do not have to go to a doctor to get a gnats cock taken off or to get your shaft to fit.

6. Nov 16, 2010 #5

Evo

Time for a bump.

7. Nov 16, 2010 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Can we assume the sheep to be spherical and of uniform density? If so, I'll pose an Atwood machine problem post-haste.

8. Nov 16, 2010 #7

JaredJames

Gold Member

Wow, being Welsh I should be offended.

No matter where it is or what the occasion, the moment sheep are brought up the Welsh jokes follow (and vice versa).

Like I said, should be offended, but I've spent 4 years in England now so it's starting to become part of my daily routine to hear at least one sheep joke.

9. Nov 16, 2010 #8

Evo

awww, sowwy jared. I forgot your were Welsh. At least you have crossed over Offa's Dyke!

10. Nov 16, 2010 #9

JaredJames

Gold Member

If it wasn't for Google, I wouldn't have a clue what that was.

Sadly, I don't think I've ever been that high. All of my crossing's into England occur on the Seven Bridge (new one) and so I don't get high enough to 'cross' it. Perhaps brush past is a better way to put it.

Interesting from the Wiki article though:

11. Nov 16, 2010 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No... sometimes the sheep jokes are about Kiwis!

(I grew up in Wales myself, but living in the US no one knows enough about it to make sheep jokes.)

12. Nov 17, 2010 #11
    and yet we still use derived units like angstroms

13. Nov 17, 2010 #12

Borek

I have a new proposal.

1 Pj = 1 mlj = 1μj, that is 1 Polish joke is 1 millilamejoke and 1 microjoke.

Killer joke would be measured in Mj.

14. Nov 17, 2010 #13
    "And the size of Wales in cubic furlongs?
    This is a tricky one. The political debate behind it is long and uninteresting, so we will skip it...

...This means everything below ground (coal) is English, while the Welsh can retain their cherished national symbol, the leek."

I laughed so much. But I agree, Welsh and sheep jokes, getting tiring....!

15. Nov 17, 2010 #14

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Surely a killer joke is a kilojoke

16. Nov 17, 2010 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, which would make a mega joke a k-kilojoke.

17. Nov 18, 2010 #16
    How many guffaws are there in 1 Pj? and can you convert that to chachinnates? :rolleyes:

18. Nov 18, 2010 #17

Borek

You can't convert between joke and laugh, just like you can't convert between heat and temperature.

Basically laugh = joke * humor sense, or laugh = joke / humor resistance (which yields conclusion that humor sense * humor resistance = constant).

19. Nov 18, 2010 #18
    Hi

It's a question of geography, if you move to Scotland, you will not hear jokes at the expense of the Welsh, as every Scot knows it's Aberdonians who are the most guilty of sheep abuse.

Best

Colin

20. Nov 18, 2010 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's why the specific humor capacity for a person is measured in megachuckles per/kilojoke.

The rate at which humor is transferred, or Izzard, is the kilojoke per second. The threshold of pain for a normal person is approximately one kilochuckle per second, so anyone attending a comic routine rated at one Izzard (1.0 Iz) better have a capacity below 1.0 MCh/kJ, or they're in for a rough night.

21. Nov 18, 2010 #20

JaredJames

Gold Member

You have to know the history of why the welsh are considered so. It's not simply because people felt like making jokes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook