1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of propagation of an EM field in vacuum

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a region of empty space, the magnetic field is described by ##\vec{B} = B_0e^{ax}\sin{(ky-\omega t)} \hat{z}##. Find the speed of propagation ##\vec{v}## of this field.

2. Relevant equations

##\Delta \vec{B} = \frac{1}{v^2}\frac{d^2\vec{B}}{dt^2}## , ##k=\frac{\omega }{ v}##

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure of a way to calculate the velocity. Do I have to take into account the equation, or because the wave is propagating in empty space can I simply say ##v=c##? And I know the direction of propagation would be ##\hat{y}## if the term ##e^{ax}## didn't exist, but is it still ##\hat{y}## with it? I really don't understand how that term affects the velocity of propagation.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Try plugging your expression for B into Maxwell's equations.

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    I did that and got #\vec{E}#, but I still don't understand what equation to use to get the velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted