Velocity of two equal charges placed by one another

In summary, the conversation discusses two identical 8.5 point charges initially located 4.5 distance units apart. The question asks for the velocity of each charge when they are very far away from each other, assuming they have identical masses of 2.0. The conversation also mentions using Coulomb's Law to calculate the force between the charges, but the user is unsure how to translate this to velocity. It is suggested to use Electric Potential and Conservation of Energy instead. The charges are specified to be in microcoulombs and the mass in grams.
tcbarr

Homework Statement

Two identical 8.5 point charges are initially 4.5 from each other.

If they are released at the same instant from rest, how fast will each be moving when they are very far away from each other? Assume they have identical masses of 2.0 .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can calculate the force they will exert on each other at this distance using coulombs law F=k(Q1Q2/r^2) but I don't know how to translate this to velocity. help me, I'm so bad a physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
tcbarr said:

Homework Statement

Two identical 8.5 point charges are initially 4.5 from each other.

If they are released at the same instant from rest, how fast will each be moving when they are very far away from each other? Assume they have identical masses of 2.0 .

The Attempt at a Solution

So I can calculate the force they will exert on each other at this distance using coulombs law F=k(Q1Q2/r^2) but I don't know how to translate this to velocity. help me, I'm so bad a physics!
Hello tcbarr. Welcome to PF.

You need to include the units that go with all of those numbers! It's impossible to solve this problem without them.

Rather than solving this using the Coulomb Force, I suggest you solve it using Electric Potential and Conservation of Energy.

Thanks! I just copied and pasted the question didn't realize that they got droped. charges were micro coulombs and mass was grams. I'll try it in a bit using Electrical potential and conservation.

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of two equal charges placed by one another?

The formula for calculating the velocity of two equal charges placed by one another is v = kq2/m, where v is the velocity, k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge, and m is the mass of the charges.

2. How does the distance between the two charges affect their velocity?

The velocity of two equal charges placed by one another is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the velocity decreases, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the charges being equal?

The fact that the charges are equal is important because it ensures that the forces between them are balanced. If one charge is larger than the other, there will be a net force acting on the system, resulting in an acceleration and a change in velocity.

4. Can the velocity of two equal charges be negative?

Yes, the velocity of two equal charges can be negative if the charges have opposite signs. This indicates that the charges are moving towards each other, rather than away from each other.

5. How is the velocity of two equal charges affected by the medium they are placed in?

The velocity of two equal charges is affected by the medium they are placed in through the permittivity of the medium. This is represented by the value of k in the velocity formula, which is different for different mediums. In a vacuum, the permittivity is equal to 1 and the Coulomb constant is 8.99 x 109 Nm2/C2.