Simple harmonic motion of charged particles

Homework Statement

Two identical particles, each having charge +q, are fixed in space and separated by a distance d. A third particle with charge -Q is free to move and lies initially at rest on the perpendicular bisector of the two fixed charges a distance x from the midpoint between the two fixed charges. See image.

a) Show that if x is small compared with d, the motion of -Q is simple harmonic along the perpendicular bisector. Determine the period of that motion.

b) determine the period of that motion

c) How fast will the charge -Q be moving when it is at the midpoint between the two fixed charges if initially it is released at a distance a<<d from the midpoint?

v_max=?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After following another thread I resolved the Force on -Q in the y direction to be F = -2kqQ/(x2+d2/4) ⋅ x/√(x2+d2/4) I am unsure where to go from here

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Two identical particles, each having charge +q, are fixed in space and separated by a distance d. A third particle with charge -Q is free to move and lies initially at rest on the perpendicular bisector of the two fixed charges a distance x from the midpoint between the two fixed charges. See image.

a) Show that if x is small compared with d, the motion of -Q is simple harmonic along the perpendicular bisector. Determine the period of that motion.

b) determine the period of that motion

c) How fast will the charge -Q be moving when it is at the midpoint between the two fixed charges if initially it is released at a distance a<<d from the midpoint?

v_max=?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After following another thread I resolved the Force on -Q in the y direction to be F = -2kqQ/(x2+d2/4) ⋅ x/√(x2+d2/4) I am unsure where to go from here
The question tells you exactly what to do: look at the case of small ##|x|## (that is, ##|x| \ll d##). Do you know HOW to do that?

Wouldn't the fraction on the right go to zero?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
Wouldn't the fraction on the right go to zero?
Small ##|x|##, not zero!

Think of it this way: what sort of force equation would you need in order to have Newton's laws give you simple harmonic motion? That is, if ##\text{Force} = F(x),## for some function ##F(x)##, what type of function ##F## do you need? Can you get such a function of ##x## in your "electrical" case, at least if ##|x|## is small enough?