Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity profile from 3d velocity space data

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    Hi. I have a load of data objcts, each with velocity componants in the cartesian x,y,z directions. I would like to find a measure of the distribution of velocity (assuming it is averaged in all directions - a good assumption). Ie i would like to end up with some 2d plot with velocity along the 'x' axis, and number density, propability amplitude etc up the 'y' axis.

I have plotted the velocity data in 3d to show the distribution in x,y,z. it is attached. It appears that the velocity falls off in probability as 1/r^2 or similar. ie there are lots of objects with velocitys in the low 10s of kms-1, and fewer objects in the high 100s kms-1. I have the raw data and need find the form of the function.

Basically, from the plot in the figure, i need the density of dots(representing velocity componants) as a function of radius. How can i do this from the raw data? i think this might be a binning problem, where the bins are shells with equal volume in velocity space, and the number of 'dots' which fall into the shell gives the form of the function i am after.

any better ideas?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2007 #2
    solved. shell binning worked fine. alhough the volume of each shell was allowed to change, this was accounted for and the number density found as a function of radial distance from center, equating to a number density profile against actual velocity.

thanks to anyone who read this and was thinking of a solution for me
  4. Nov 20, 2007 #3
    ps if anyone wants to see the results/method if they are doing anything similar, i can post them
  5. Dec 23, 2009 #4
    Dear Jimbo,
    may be i have more complicated problem, but i believe your example would help me much, please send me the method and results to [email address deleted]

Best Regards,
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?