1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity versus time form acceleration versus time

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have some data from a lab conducted with a accelerometer to collect the acceleration and I am trying to figure out how to create a v vs t graph from the a vs t graph. When I create the a vs t graph in excel its very crazy looking because of the change in acceleration at every 0.1 s from 0 s to 79.6 s. I know the v vs t is constructed from the area under the a vs t graph. The speed of the object is 0 km/h to 40 km/h = 0 m/s to 11.1111 m/s. I have every point of the instantaneous acceleration at every 0.1 s.

my a vs t graph:
    14tydsj.png

my acceleration data looks like this from 0 s to 79.6 s:
    avsz1s.jpg

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Delta v = \int a dt[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

well I know the time is 0 s to 79.6 s and the velocity is 0 m/s to 11.1111 m/s so I think I can integrate?

[tex]\Delta v = \int a dt[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Integration is actually a discrete sum in this case. You don't have an analytical function that you can integrate. Just multiply the acceleration at a given point in time by the time interval Δt = 0.1 s and call that Δv. Add all the Δv's from time zero to the time of interest to get the velocity at the time of interest.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    I used this formula:

[tex]v_{n} = v_{n-1} + a_{n}(0.1)[/tex]

which is what you said but would the position be:

[tex]x_{n} = x_{n-1} + v_{n-1}(0.1) + (0.5)a_{n}(0.1)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]y_{n} = y_{n-1} + v_{n-1}(0.1) + (0.5)a_{n}(0.1)^{2}[/tex]

for every point?

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It will (probably) be better to use the "other kinematic equation"

[tex]
    \Delta x_{n} = \frac{v_{n}^2-v_{n-1}^2}{2a_{n}}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook