Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vending machines with $10 acceptance

1. Feb 10, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So what happens when you give a vending machine $10 for a $1.25 soda? Does it give you $8.75 in quarters!?!?! I've always wondered....

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2006 #2
    Most vending machines only take up to a five if that. The ones here on campus that take fives generally spit out Susan B's and Sacagawea's. They also accept the dollar coins.

4. Feb 10, 2006 #3

ek

We don't have this problem. Loonies and toonies. No bills in vending machines. Too much of a hassle.

5. Feb 10, 2006 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think rejecting the American Coin Dollar was the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I love my loonies and twoonies.

6. Feb 10, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it was really only rejected because the flakey mint went and made the things look far too similar to quarters, and people got ticked off when they accidentally paid $1 for something that was supposed to cost $.25.

Then again, your wallet sure does get heavy quickly in Canada! All that looney toons :biggrin: money sure weighs more than paper.

7. Feb 10, 2006 #6
    Yeah I paid for something in canada and the lady gave me back all these quarters. I was like, EXCUSE ME I gave you A $10, this change is a five and a some quarters. Your short two dollars. Then I had to proceed to unwedge my foot from my arse when she told me those were worth 1 and 2 bucks. :shy:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  8. Feb 10, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many soda machines tacitly assume any bill you give them is a $1 bill. If you give them a $10 bill, you just paid $9.75 for your soda. :sad:

- Warren

9. Feb 10, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why do they have "Accepts $1, $5, and $10 bills" though?

10. Feb 10, 2006 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if the machine explicitly says it takes $5 and $10, then it does. If it doesn't say so explicitly, it will only take $1, and will probably mistake any other bill for a $1.

- Warren

11. Feb 10, 2006 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In fact, the soda machine I have here at work is now taunting me. It doesn't say explicitly that it takes $5 or $10 bills, but the picture above the bill collector has "$" signs in place of the number that appears on bills, rather than just, say, a "1". Maybe that means it takes higher-denomination bills, or maybe it doesn't. I happen to have only a $5 and $10 bill in my wallet. Is it kismet? Should I try? Should I start with the $5 or the $10? :uhh:

- Warren

12. Feb 10, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

try a $5!!!!!

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! *chants*

13. Feb 10, 2006 #12
    Warren, if it is a coke machine press these numbers: 4 -2 -3-1 then you will get a menu option. If you are clever, you can get a free coke, or change the price to 10 cents a bottle and get your moneys worth. You didn't hear that from me.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  14. Feb 10, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That only works on a few older machines. They figured that one out a long time ago.

15. Feb 10, 2006 #14

Mk

What do I do if a vending machine eats my dollar like yesterday? How do I get it back?

16. Feb 10, 2006 #15
    Call the number on the machine, or tip it over. Whatever suits your fancy.

17. Feb 10, 2006 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't get a Darwin award for that, it's already been done.

18. Feb 11, 2006 #17
    where do you have a coke machine with numbers?

19. Feb 11, 2006 #18
    All the new coke machines have numbers Trib. Pay attention next time you buy a coke. How do you buy it? You press A-1, B-3. Also if its a picture, the pictures actually have numbers associated with them. If you press the pictures in a 4-2-3-1 order, the coke machine readout displays a menu. you can press the pictures on the coke machine to go through the menu and change options.

20. Feb 11, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The snack machine has those A-1, B-3 type numbers, but not the Coke machine. Though, I'm still trying to figure out how someone managed to get one of our Coke machines stocked with some Pepsi. But, I'm not complaining since I prefer Pepsi. It means I walk to the other end of the building and down three floors to get a drink instead of going to the machine nearest my office, but at least I can get what I like. :biggrin:

21. Feb 11, 2006 #20
    [​IMG]

You just never payed attention to it moonbear. See the number/keypad? Its only on the new machines. Next time you see one press 4-2-3-1 and see what it does :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?