Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Vendor for telescope mirror cells?

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    Any suggestions on vendors for good, well-designed reflecting telescope mirror holding cells, in the ~ 8" diameter range? I've had enough grief from the very poorly-designed cell that holds the primary in my 7" Mak-Newtonian, and am looking to toss it and replace it with something better. Tube diameter is 8" more or less.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

No idea. Have you tried an amateur astronomy specific forum? I'm a member of cloudynights.com myself.

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3
    Ah, hadn't seen that forum - looks pretty active too, I'll dig around.

5. Aug 27, 2011 #4
  6. Aug 27, 2011 #5
    Looks nice, the multiple pad mount is what I'm looking for, my cell is just a metal backing ring that leaves the most of the mirror unsupported, with three side set-screws to keep it in place. The three screws create obvious surface distortions in a high-mag star test, and I'm sure the unsupported part adds some spherical aberration though it's hard to tell. But unfortunately those cells are for large RC mirrors.

7. Aug 28, 2011 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Aug 28, 2011 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The 3 clips that hold your mirror might have been tightened down for shipping. Before I did anything, I'd loosen those three clips. Most have phillips head screws. The clips don't need to hold the mirror tightly, just back them off a half turn each. Overtightening those clips is a common problem (mistake) in newts.

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8
    I've played with them, they're rubber-tipped allen-head set screws that keep the mirror from moving around - don't remember if they were especially tight when I received the scope 10+ years ago, but basically I can minimize the surface distortions by backing them out slightly but then the mirror moves after I collimate it. This makes it impossible to keep the scope aligned, and introduces astigmatism that is much worse than the small distortions due to the set screws. The distortions are obviously most noticeable looking at planets with high magnification, which is exactly where the scope is supposed to do it's best work - only solution I've found, short of tossing the mount and starting over, is to aperture the mirror down slightly with a cardboard annulus.

10. Aug 31, 2011 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://lefevre.darkhorizons.org/lxd55/clipectomy.htm" [Broken] discusses those clips as well. Most mirrors don't rattle around that much when the clips are loosened. If so, you might want to dab a few blobs of silicone onto the pads underneath the primary.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook