Venting Frustration: Slow People and Routine Tasks

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is a rant about slow people and their frustrating habits. The speaker shares examples of encountering slow people while running errands and expresses frustration at how these small tasks can be made even slower by their actions. The conversation also includes a personal anecdote of a slow person the speaker used to know. The conversation ends with the advice to just move on and not waste energy trying to change slow people.
Janus said:
I just don't get how some people can be be so slow at doing the little mundane things. In my mind, these are the things that you try to get through as quickly as possible in order to save time for those things that it is worth spending time on.

I know exactly how you feel. I am by nature a very impatient person - always in a hurry unless I am doing exactly what I want to be doing!

Many folks really have nothing else to do. A trip to the store to return cans, then to the cash outlet to cash a welfare check, and a final stop by the State liquor store, is a day.

Where we live, the biggest danger is getting behind a large farm vehicle on a long, narrow road. They drive about 15 mph and often have no way to let you pass.

In Los Angeles, the gang bangers like to walk reeeeeeeally slow to show how cool they are.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a beverage store a couple of towns over that sells no fragranced products, so I can feel relatively safe stopping into buy some beer, a bottle or two of wine, etc. Unfortunately, they also sell scratch-off lottery tickets, and you can easily kill 5 minutes behind some loon that has to exercise all their psychic powers deciding which of the more than 20 types of scratch-off tickets to buy. "I'll take 2 of the #18... and 1 of the #4... and 3 of the #9." "No! make that 1 of the #17... 2 of the #6... and 3 of the #10!" I contemplate murder on such days. (BTW, the ellipses are there for a reason.)

turbo-1 said:
There is a beverage store a couple of towns over that sells no fragranced products, so I can feel relatively safe stopping into buy some beer, a bottle or two of wine, etc. Unfortunately, they also sell scratch-off lottery tickets, and you can easily kill 5 minutes behind some loon that has to exercise all their psychic powers deciding which of the more than 20 types of scratch-off tickets to buy. "I'll take 2 of the #18... and 1 of the #4... and 3 of the #9." "No! make that 1 of the #17... 2 of the #6... and 3 of the #10!" I contemplate murder on such days. (BTW, the ellipses are there for a reason.)

:rofl:

You had me at wine, but then the loon man cork blocking the register almost spazzed me out :biggrin:

cronxeh said:

You had me at wine, but then the loon man cork blocking the register almost spazzed me out :biggrin:
The worst ones are the nuts that have to scratch off their new tickets at the counter before getting out of the way. If they win ANY money, they invariably buy more tickets. Scratch-tickets should only be sold through vending machines!

turbo-1 said:

On a particularly frustrating day I told my friend behind the counter, "give me a call when she she's done" and left.

I know - not very nice. But when it takes him less than 30 seconds to ring up 8 different ticket purchases while it took her more than four minutes to sit there and select them with a growing line of 13 people (by the time I left) in a convenience store, something's wrong. I left because after four minutes, she was nowhere close to being done. Some big list in her hand and she was keeping her place with her thumb about a third of the way down it.

Have you ever seen thirteen people in line at a convenience store? Until that day, I've never seen more than five.

I'm of the impression they should all be electronic kiosks located separately from the counter. If you don't have a credit card you could purchase tokens at the register in less than 20 seconds. If you run out of tokens and still want to play, then you must get back in line.

I never play the lotto.

mugaliens said:
On a particularly frustrating day I told my friend behind the counter, "give me a call when she she's done" and left.

I know - not very nice. But when it takes him less than 30 seconds to ring up 8 different ticket purchases while it took her more than four minutes to sit there and select them with a growing line of 13 people (by the time I left) in a convenience store, something's wrong. I left because after four minutes, she was nowhere close to being done. Some big list in her hand and she was keeping her place with her thumb about a third of the way down it.

Have you ever seen thirteen people in line at a convenience store? Until that day, I've never seen more than five.

I'm of the impression they should all be electronic kiosks located separately from the counter. If you don't have a credit card you could purchase tokens at the register in less than 20 seconds. If you run out of tokens and still want to play, then you must get back in line.

I never play the lotto.

And never try to discuss probability theory with those people. It never ends well.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzzyfelt said:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh I woulda ran over that slimy...

My other big pet peeve is people crossing the road just ANYWHERE and not on crosswalk on green. OOOOH :grumpy:

As my buddy would say.. "you got knocked the f out!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pFpqrSsczc