Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify Harmonic function and Laplace equation.

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1
    Harmonic function satisfies Laplace equation and have continuous 1st and 2nd partial derivatives. Laplace equation is [itex]\nabla^2 u=0[/itex].

Using Green's 1st identity:

[tex]\int_{\Omega} v \nabla^2 u \;+\; \nabla u \;\cdot \; \nabla v \; dx\;dy \;=\; \int_{\Gamma} v\frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \; ds [/tex]

[tex] v=1 \;\Rightarrow\; \int_{\Omega} \nabla^2 u \; dx\;dy \;=\; \int_{\Gamma} \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \; ds = 0 \;\hbox { if } \;u \;\hbox{ is a harmonic function .} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \;=\; \nabla u \cdot \widehat{n} \;\hbox{ where} \; \widehat{n} \;\hbox { is the outward normal of the boundary of the closed region } \Omega[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \;=\; \nabla u \cdot \widehat{n} =0 \;\Rightarrow\; \nabla u \;\hbox{ is tangent to the outward normal which means it is tengent of the boundary } \Gamma\; [/tex].

This mean for a harmonic function [itex]u,\;\; \nabla u [/itex] on the boundary [itex] \Gamma [/itex] is tangent to the boundary. And in vector calculus term, it is total circulation.

This mean at the points of the boundary [itex]\nabla u = \nabla \;X\; A \;\hbox { where A is some scalar function. } [/itex]

Just want to verify with you guys.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2
    Anyone please?
  4. Aug 7, 2010 #3
  5. Aug 10, 2010 #4
    I think I know what I did wrong.

[tex] \int_{\Omega} \nabla^2 u \; dx\;dy \;=\; \int_{\Gamma} \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \; ds = 0 \;\hbox { if } \;u \;\hbox{ is a harmonic function .} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{\Gamma} \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} \; ds = 0 \hbox { do not mean } \frac{\partial u}{\partial n} = 0[/tex].

So my logic is wrong to start out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook