Verify that this kinetic energy operator is Hermitian

In summary, the conversation is about a student's attempt to demonstrate the Hermitian property of the momentum operator in their lecture notes. They use integration by parts to show this, but there is a mistake in their working and they ask for help in identifying the error. The expert advises them to use the Hermitian property of the momentum operator directly to show the Hermitian property of the momentum squared operator. The student is also reminded that PhysicsForums does not provide full solutions, but they can create a thread for help in solving their problem.
sa1988

Homework Statement

Not actually a homework question but is an exercise in my lecture notes.

Homework Equations

I'm following this which demonstrates that the momentum operator is Hermitian:

103s7eg.png

The Attempt at a Solution

$$KE_{mn} = (\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}) \int\Psi_{m}^{*} \Psi_{n}^{''} dx $$
$$ by parts: \int uv' = uv - \int vu' $$
$$ KE_{mn} = (\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}) \Big( \Psi_{m}^* \Psi_{n}^{'} - \int \Psi_{n}^{'} \Psi_{m}^{'*} dx \Big) $$
$$ KE_{mn} = (\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}) \Big( \Psi_{m}^* \Psi_{n}^{'} - (\Psi_{n}^{'} \Psi_{m}^{*} - \int \Psi_{m}^{*}\Psi_{n}^{''} dx) \Big) $$
$$ KE_{mn} = (\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}) \int \Psi_{m}^{*}\Psi_{n}^{''} dx $$
$$KE_{mn} = KE_{mn}$$

:oldconfused::oldconfused::oldconfused:

Can anyone see the gaping error in my working?

Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:
$$ KE_{mn} = (\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}) \Big( \Psi_{m}^* \Psi_{n}^{'} - \int \Psi_{n}^{'} \Psi_{m}^{'*} dx \Big) $$
$$ KE_{mn} = (\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}) \Big( \Psi_{m}^* \Psi_{n}^{'} - (\Psi_{n}^{'} \Psi_{m}^{*} - \int \Psi_{m}^{*}\Psi_{n}^{''} dx) \Big) $$
The second time you are doing the integration by parts, you are making the wrong choice for ##u## and ##v'##.

Also, don't forget that this is a definite integral.

Likes sa1988
DrClaude said:
The second time you are doing the integration by parts, you are making the wrong choice for ##u## and ##v'##.

Also, don't forget that this is a definite integral.

Thanks for this. Relieving to see it was a fairly simple arithmetic error, but worrying that my eyes continually didn't pick up on it...

Pretty late in the evening now and I don't have any pen or paper handy for going over it all, but I'll check it out tomorrow.

Cheers :)

Hi, may I have the full set solution of this question? Thank you

Louis419 said:

Okay, but maybe you are two years too late!

Personally, I would have used the Hermitian property of ##p## to show the Hermitian property of ##p^2## directly.

Louis419 said:
We don't give full solutions at PhysicsForums. Try it yourself and create a thread with your question if you are having some problems. We will help you get to the solution.

1. What is a kinetic energy operator?

A kinetic energy operator is a mathematical representation of the energy associated with the motion of a particle or system of particles. It is typically denoted by the symbol T and is an important concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How do you verify if a kinetic energy operator is Hermitian?

To verify if a kinetic energy operator is Hermitian, one must check if it satisfies the Hermiticity condition, which states that the operator must be equal to its adjoint. This can be done by applying the adjoint operation to the operator and comparing it to the original operator. If they are equal, then the operator is Hermitian.

3. What is the significance of a Hermitian kinetic energy operator?

A Hermitian kinetic energy operator has real eigenvalues, which represent the possible energy states of a particle or system. This is important because it allows for the calculation of meaningful physical quantities, such as the average kinetic energy of a system, which can be used to make predictions about the behavior of particles.

4. Can a kinetic energy operator be non-Hermitian?

Yes, a kinetic energy operator can be non-Hermitian. In general, a Hermitian operator is preferred in physics because it ensures the conservation of energy and the reality of energy eigenvalues. However, there are certain cases where a non-Hermitian kinetic energy operator may be used, such as in non-Hermitian quantum mechanics.

5. How is a Hermitian kinetic energy operator related to the Schrödinger equation?

A Hermitian kinetic energy operator is a key component of the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. The operator appears in the equation as part of the Hamiltonian, which represents the total energy of the system. Thus, a Hermitian kinetic energy operator ensures that the Schrödinger equation produces physically meaningful results.