Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical and horizontal subspace of a vector space T_pP.

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    suppose we have a principle fiber bundle P

at a point p \in P

we have the decomposition T_pP=V_pP + H_pP

it is said that the vertical subspace V_pP is uniquely defined while H_pP is not

i cannot understand this point

the complement to a unique subspace is surely unique, i think.

it is a basic fact in linear algebra.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    I assume you mean a vector bundle, right.? (or maybe you use a different name for it),
    and I guess you want a direct sum decomposition and uniqueness up to isomorphism.?

Where did you read that the complement was not unique (and unique up to what)?.

Then, you are correct: given an n-dimensional subspace S of an m-dim
    vector space V , we can always define a subspace S' (e.g., by extending the
    basis B_S of S to a basis B_V for V , so that S' is the subspace with basis
    B_V-B_S )so that

V=S(+)S'

And dimensions add up, so DimS'=m-n . so S' is unique up to vector space isomorphism.

And all

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    no, it is about principle fiber bundle

it is in the context of horizontal lift of a curve in the base manifold M to a curve in the bundle P

it is said that some connect is needed to determine the horizontal subspace.

5. Aug 24, 2010 #4
    The orthogonal complement is unique, but that needs an inner product. In general, given a vector space V with a subspace U, there are many choices of subspaces W such that V is the direct sum of U and W.

6. Aug 24, 2010 #5
    But there is only one such W up to isomorphism, by invariance of dimension.

I have always been curious about "solving" for quotients, or direct sums, i.e.,

If we know V=S(+)S' , and we know S, how do we find S' up to isomorphism;

similarly, if we know that a group G is the quotient of two groups H,K, i.e.,

G~ H/K , and we only know either H or K, but not both, can we find the other.?

7. Aug 24, 2010 #6
    But the isomorphism problem for vector spaces is nearly trivial (two vector spaces are isomorphic iff they have the same dimension), making it uninteresting. If V = S ⊕ S', then S' is always isomorphic to V/S, but who cares?

Back to the original problem: It wasn't saying unique up to isomorphism; just unique.

edit: I did some reading about the objects in the original problem. A fibre bundle p: E -> M gives a canonically defined (i.e. uniquely satisfies a certain property) linear map of vector bundles Tp: TE -> TM; the vertical bundle VE is defined as the kernel of Tp. A horizontal bundle is then an arbitrary subbundle HE of TE such that TE = VE ⊕ HE. Even though any two horizontal bundles may be isomorphic, they may still be different subbundles of TE.

Generally speaking, if you're given a fixed object, you aren't interested in the various subobjects only up to isomorphism.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  8. Aug 25, 2010 #7
    to the point

thanks a lot!

9. Aug 25, 2010 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spelling nitpick: It's principal, not principle.

10. Oct 8, 2010 #9
    Re: vertical and horizontal subspace

where in the definition of vertical subspace we understand that the notion of canonical vertical vector: a vertical vector is a vector tangent to the fiber. ?

11. Oct 8, 2010 #10

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The vertical space is tangent to the fiber. But a complementary subspace of the tangent space to the fiber is not uniquely determined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook