1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very basic form of the diffusion law for gasses

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1
    I'm looking for a proof of the following statement at a level an early undergrad would understand:

##J=D \vec{\nabla} \vec{n}## where ##D=\frac{v_{th}l}{3}## with ##l## being the mean free path and ##v_{th}## the thermal agitation velocity, ##J## is the particle current density.

I really did try google a lot but no luck. Either the proof is way too complicated for me to understand or it just tells the results without work. I'm looking for a very raw/approximating derivation that doesn't really have to be formal at all, something that can be understood in like 10 minutes, hard assumptions are allowed. I would really appreciate it if someone who knows where I can find one, could inform me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To get the correct factor of 1/3 apparently requires a lot of work. The treatments that I have seen at the undergraduate level make approximations that simplify the argument but end up getting the wrong numerical factor. They then just state that a more refined treatment will yield the 1/3. See for example Feynman's lectures http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_43.html especially section 43-5.

4. Jan 5, 2015 #3
    I see, this is exactly the answer I was looking for. The reason why I'm asking is that in class I remember some very very handwaving derivation that got the wrong factor. When I then looked up the law it had a different factor and I thought we were just blatantly wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted