1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Justifying Ampere's Law and Faradays Law with an experiment

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law (in differential or integral form fwiw) explain why it is easier to design an experiment to show that a changing magnetic field creates an electric field than it is to show a changing electric field creates a magnetic field. Justify your answer with numbers.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\nabla x \vec{B} = \mu_0\vec{J} + \mu_0\epsilon_0\frac{d\vec{E}}{dt}##
    ##\nabla x \vec{E} = \frac{-d\vec{B}}{dt}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So this was from an exam I just took. I beat my head against it for about 45 minutes and could only really come up with this:

For Faraday's law, it only requires that a changing magnetic field be present. This can be accomplished easily by simply moving a magnet around a conductor, since if an electric field is created, the electrons in the conductor will move, and we can see the effects of this in a coil of wire with a segment cut out. As the magnet moves sparks of current should be visible at that cut out.

For Ampere's Law however it is hard to create a changing electric field independent of current (where ##\vec{J} = \vec{0}##). One would need to create a changing electric field that propagates through free space and measure the magnetic effects on objects as a result, which would have been challenging without tools that can properly control photons.

I honestly just didn't know how to describe the difficulties of Ampere's Law better than this. And I didn't have time to think of any numerical justifications for my arguments since the other 3 problems also took about 45 minutes a piece. How would you have gone about answering this differently?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hard to change the electric field without moving charges about yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted