1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Very basic noob question about integers

1. Dec 19, 2016 #1
    hi all so this is a very basic question i think and i feel very bad for tumbling here but still i need to clear this, so from childhood i was taught that the negative numbers are less than positive but now when i am studying limits and functions i came across absolute function and it said |-x| = max{-x,x}. alright seems legit but now the book says that max of the two is -x and thats why function came out positive due to double minus sign, so i want to ask how is -x greater than x or i am doing something wrong here? thx for ur help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If x=-5, then -x=-(-5)=5 is larger than x=-5.

If x is negative, -x is larger than x, otherwise it is not.

4. Dec 19, 2016 #3
    It's just something that tricks your brain until you think about it for a second.

Q: Is ## -x ## is a negative number?
    A: Not necessarily.

You don't know what ##x## is. If ## x = -3 ## then ## -x =-(-3) = 3 ## which is positive.

I prefer to have the absolute value function written piecewise:

Absolute-Value-as-Piecewise-Function2.png

5. Dec 19, 2016 #4
    duh! lol that was really a simple one xD but thanks everyone for giving a good explanation :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted