Very basic - sinusoidal motion question

In summary, the mass of an object does not affect the calculation of displacement using acceleration and frequency. The relationship between these factors is purely geometric and not influenced by mass.
spookthehamster
I'm trying to work out the displacement of an object, knowing the acceleration, frequency and mass.

I've found equations for working it out with the first two, but does the mass have an affect that should be taken into account?

This is something very obvious that I will have only been taught last year, but it's been so long since I've done any maths that I've just drawn a blank.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi spookthehamster ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
spookthehamster said:
I'm trying to work out the displacement of an object, knowing the acceleration, frequency and mass.

I've found equations for working it out with the first two, but does the mass have an affect that should be taken into account?

No, the mass doesn't matter. Mass is physics.

The relation between acceleration frequency and position is geometric, and has nothing to do with physics. :wink:

1. What is sinusoidal motion?

Sinusoidal motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a repeating pattern, following a sine curve.

2. What are some examples of sinusoidal motion?

Some examples of sinusoidal motion include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a mass on a spring oscillating up and down, and a wave moving through water or air.

3. What causes sinusoidal motion?

Sinusoidal motion is caused by a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring, acting on an object that is displaced from its equilibrium position. The object then oscillates back and forth as the restoring force causes it to return to its equilibrium position.

4. How is sinusoidal motion measured?

Sinusoidal motion can be measured using a variety of tools, including a stopwatch, ruler, motion sensor, or accelerometer. The measurements typically include the amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium), frequency (number of cycles per unit time), and period (time for one full cycle) of the motion.

5. What are the applications of sinusoidal motion?

Sinusoidal motion has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. It is used in the design of structures and machines, understanding the behavior of waves and sound, and studying the movement of living organisms. It also has applications in music, as many musical notes and melodies follow a sinusoidal pattern.