Very EASY tension problem, problem.

• Thread starter cfitzU2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the author claims that the approach described is not the correct one and that there is a problem with the tension calculations.
cfitzU2
1. Homework Statement

"Three situations involving a block with a weight of 20.0 N and a string are shown in the figure above. In case 1, there is only one string leading from the hook to the ceiling. In cases 2 and 3, the string passes through a hook on top of the block.

[What the picture shows]: For case 2, an angle of 30 degrees is given and for case 3, an angle of 90 degrees is given. In each, the angle given is the angle "above the hook". That is, when one thinks of the triangle formed by the two ropes and the point-mass, we are given the angle made by the meeting of the two ropes, "pointing" down towards the ground.

QUESTIONS:
(a) Rank these situations based on the tension in the string, from largest to smallest (e.g., 3>1=2).

(b) Calculate the tension in the string in case 3."2. Homework Equations

Fnet = T - mg

T = T1 + T23. The Attempt at a Solution

The most questionable assumption made is that the angles made with respect to the horizontal are equal. For instance, in case 2 the angle of 30 degrees is bisected so that we can deduce that the angle wrt the horizontal is 90 - 15 = 75. LIkewise with case 3 we are left with 45. It seems we have too little information to deduce the horizontal angles for an arbitrary (not necessarily equal) T1 and T2, so we've assumed that the bisection goes through as described.

IF that's ok, then part (b) of the question should be simple. Considering a 45 degree angle wrt the horizontal (by bisecting 90 degrees), the equality of T1 and T2 implies that T = T1 + T2 = 2*T1 = 2*(10*sin(45))=20*sqrt(2) which is approximately 28.28427, which, to three significant digits should be 28.3.

HOWEVER, the online submission system says this is wrong. As well as our answer to (a), for which we said that (case 1) < (case 2) < (case 3).

So, MY QUESTION, is: Is the approach described the correct one? I've seen tension problems before, but usually have been given two angles to work with, not just the one center angle between the ropes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the angle between the 2 strings is 90 degrees and the 20 N weight hangs along the bisector of the angle, then the vertical component of the tension in each string is how much, from symmetry and Newton 1?? So then the tension in each string is ____?

Wow. Thanks so much. I am an absolute fool.

By symmetry deduce that resultant for each string is 10. Then since horizontal components cancel just add vertical components to get 2*10*sin(45) = 20/sqrt(2) apprx 14.1.

Similar calculations show that 30 degrees gives 10, so (a) is 1>3>2.

[These answers went through.]

I don't know how I messed this up. Sad thing is I have a math degree (helping GF with physics hw). Ouch.

Thanks again!

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It is a pulling force that occurs in the opposite direction of the applied force.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is measured in units of force, such as newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). It can also be measured indirectly by measuring the amount of deformation or stretch in an object.

3. What factors affect tension?

The amount of tension present in a system can be affected by factors such as the magnitude of the applied force, the material properties of the object, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. What are some real-life examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension in everyday life include the tension in a rope when pulling a heavy object, the tension in guitar strings when plucked, and the tension in muscles during exercise.

5. How can tension be calculated?

Tension can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. By knowing the mass and acceleration of an object, the tension can be determined using the equation F=ma.