Vexing equations of motion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of equations of motion for a system consisting of a 2-kg point mass welded on the interior of a 2-kg thin ring. The equations of motion are derived and a free body diagram is drawn to determine the forces acting on the system. The equations of motion are then combined into a single nonlinear ODE governing the angle of rotation, theta. A linearized equation of motion is also developed for small angles of theta, and the natural frequency and free response of the system are calculated for a given initial condition. Finally, the moment of inertia of the system is determined and the linearized equation of motion is simplified.
faust9
The question:

A 2-kg point mass is welded on the interior of a 2-kg thin ring at point P. The ring has a radius R = 160 mm and rolls on the surface without slipping.

(a) Draw a free body diagram for the ring and point mass. Develop the equations of motion for the system.

(b) Combine the equations of motion derived in (a) into a single (nonlinear) ODE governing θ (t). Assuming a small angle θ (t), develop a linearized equation of motion for the system and calculate the natural frequency and also the free response when θ (0) = 25° and dθ/ dt (0) = 0.

With the origin placed at the center of the ring (axis of rotation), theta is measured from the -y axis in the ccw direction (from south to east if you will)

My approach:
(a) FBD was drawn.

Forces:
[tex]\vec N=N\hat J [/tex] Normal force acting up.

[tex]\vec W=-mg\hat J [/tex] weight force acting down from the center of mass.

[tex]\vec F_f=f\hat I [/tex] force of friction acting at the contact point.

Point C is defined as the center of mass

Point O is the origin

Point P is the point on the ring where the point mass is located

Point A is the point where the normal force and frictional forces act.

The point mass is on the ring thus the center of mass of the ring/mass body is at [itex]R/2[/itex]

[tex]\vec r_{C/O}=(\sin\theta\hat I-\cos\theta\hat J)R/2[/tex]

M=total mass=m1+m2

Acceleration of point C was determined thusly
[tex]\vec a_C=\vec a_O+ \ddot \theta \times \vec r_{C/O}-\dot \theta^2\vec r_{C/O} [/tex]

[tex]\vec a_O=\ddot \theta r \hat I [/tex]

[tex]\ddot \theta \times \vec r_{C/O}=\begin{vmatrix} \hat I & \hat J & \hat K\\ 0 & 0 & -\ddot \theta\\ \sin \theta R/2&-\cos \theta R/2& 0 \end{vmatrix}=-\ddot \theta\cos\theta R/2\hat I+\ddot\theta\sin\theta R/2\hat J [/tex]

[tex]-\dot \theta^2\vec r_{C/O}=-\dot \theta^2\sin\theta R/2\hat I+\dot \theta^2\cos\theta R/2\hat J [/tex]

Summing the forces and moments about C:

I: [tex]f=M(\ddot \theta R -\ddot \theta\cos\theta R/2-\dot \theta^2\sin\theta R/2)[/tex]

J: [tex]N-Mg=M(\ddot\theta\sin\theta R/2+\dot \theta^2\cos\theta R/2)[/tex]

K: [tex]f(1-\frac{\cos\theta}{2})R-N\sin\theta R=\ddot\theta I_T [/tex]

Two questions thus far: Is my approach correct and how do I determine the total moment of inertia([itex]I_T[/itex])?

Thanks

[edit] Silly me: the moment of inertia about c should be [itex]I_T=m_1R^2+m_1\frac{R^2}{4}+m_2R^2[/itex]

thus [tex]I_T=m\frac{9R^2}{4}[/tex] Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, simplifying the above I get:

[tex]\ddot\theta+\dot\theta^2\frac{4\sin\theta+4\cos\theta}{1+4\sin\theta+4\cos\theta}+\frac{8g}{R(1+4\sin\theta+4\cos\theta)}=0[/tex]

Thus the linear function for small angles of theta becomes:

[tex]\ddot\theta+\frac{8g}{R(5+4\theta)}=0[/tex]

Is this correct?

Thanks

Last edited:

As for the approach, it seems mostly correct. However, there are a few things that could be clarified or corrected.

1. The normal force and frictional force should both act at point A, not just the normal force. This will not affect the equations of motion, but it is important for accuracy.

2. The expression for the acceleration of point C is not correct. It should be \vec{a}_C = \vec{a}_O + \ddot{\theta} \times \vec{r}_{C/O} - \dot{\theta}^2 \vec{r}_{C/O}. The term \vec{a}_O should have a magnitude of \ddot{\theta}R, not just \ddot{\theta}.

3. The expression for the moment about point C in the i direction should be f - M(\ddot{\theta}R - \ddot{\theta}\cos\theta R/2 - \dot{\theta}^2\sin\theta R/2), not what is currently written. The moment about point C in the j direction is correct.

4. The expression for the moment about point C in the k direction is not correct. It should be f(1-\cos\theta/2)R - N\sin\theta R = \ddot{\theta}I_T. This can be derived by taking the moment about point C in the k direction and setting it equal to the moment of inertia about point C times the angular acceleration.

5. The moment of inertia about point C should be m_1R^2 + m_2(R/2)^2. This can be derived by using the parallel axis theorem and calculating the moment of inertia about the center of mass of the ring and then adding the moment of inertia of the point mass about its own center of mass.

6. The moment of inertia about point C can also be written as I_T = mR^2 + m(R/2)^2 = m(9R^2/4). This is correct.

Overall, your approach is correct, but there are a few small errors that should be corrected. Once these are fixed, you should be able to solve for the equations of motion and proceed with finding the natural frequency and free response. Good luck!

1. What are "vexing equations of motion problems"?

"Vexing equations of motion problems" refer to complex mathematical equations that describe the motion of an object or system. These equations can be challenging to solve due to the presence of multiple variables and complicated mathematical expressions.

2. How are "vexing equations of motion problems" used in science?

"Vexing equations of motion problems" are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy, to predict and analyze the motion of objects and systems. They are essential for understanding the natural world and developing new technologies.

3. What makes "vexing equations of motion problems" difficult to solve?

These equations can be difficult to solve due to several factors, such as the presence of multiple variables, complex mathematical expressions, and the need to consider various forces and their interactions. Additionally, the initial conditions and boundary conditions may also complicate the problem.

4. How do scientists approach solving "vexing equations of motion problems"?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical techniques and physical principles to solve these equations. This includes breaking down the problem into simpler parts, using mathematical approximations, and applying fundamental laws of physics to the specific situation.

5. What are some real-world applications of "vexing equations of motion problems"?

"Vexing equations of motion problems" have many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a spacecraft, designing efficient transportation systems, and understanding the behavior of particles in a fluid. They are also crucial for developing technologies, such as computer simulations and models for predicting weather patterns.