Video conferencing with 20 people for 2 hours at no cost

harborsparrow
Gold Member

Summary:

Looking for a best vid program that will let us have a group video call for more than an hour at no cost; expected max participation would be around 20

Main Question or Discussion Point

Looking for a best vid program that will let us have a group video call for more than an hour at no cost; expected max participation would be around 20. The ones I know about, off the top of my head, are Skype, Zoom and Google Hangouts. We are not a school or non-profit, just a bunch of friends.

Looking for things like, does group vid call need a paying account? (i.e., Zoom requires that to go more than 40 minutes). Can the recipient use a browser without needing to make a logon account for the provider company, or install anything on a desktop? Does the phone/tablet app behave well, or ask you sign away your life rights to your own soul? Is advance permission required from all participants to let a call be initiated (I think Skype does this)?

What experiences have people had? What do you like, dislike about each program? Thanks much in advance.

Answers and Replies

harborsparrow
Gold Member
Thanks for the links. I was also hoping for some personal experiences with the various programs.

Nothing personal, when my company did teleconferencing they did mostly audio-only as video was way too expensive at the time maybe 10 years ago. Now I imagine the price has dropped since you can do face-to-face on phones.

You just need to watch for videobombing or in the case of Zoom zoombombing where someone co-opts your feed usually for the lesser good.