Video help - Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

1. Video help -- Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

I converted a lot off my DVDs that are of 1970's TV show Land Of The Lost to avi files so I can watch them on my pc.

There is one setting for Aspec Ratio I do not get I know if I pick 16:9 this is for Wide Screen.
    And I know if I pick 4:3 this is for None Wide Screen Standard TV.

What is the optin Fully Expand and what is the option Animorphic for?

Please tell me in your own words and not a link I have been all over and I think if you just tell me what the two option do Fully Expand and Animorphic I will understand.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Re: Video help

anamorphic means a wide screen movie is squeezed into the 4:3 format but can be expanded to widescreen with the right playback equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

Also 1970's shows were probably broadcast in 4:3 format so saving it that way would be okay.

4. Re: Video help -- Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

If Anamorphic makes a Wide Screen Movie to be played on a 4:3 TV then is this not LetterBox??

5. jedishrfu

Re: Video help -- Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

No, letterboxing is the practice of transferring film shot in a widescreen aspect ratio to standard-width video formats while preserving the film's original aspect ratio. (wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterbox

animorphic can still be expanded into a wide screen with no loss whereas letterbox has been reduced to fit 4:3 forever.

6. Re: Video help -- Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

Ok I looked up Anamorphic and Widescreen and I think I get it.

When they Letterbox a Widescreen Movie the Black Bars keep the 16:9 Ratio so it will fit on a 4:3 screen I get this.

And if I understand a lot of the Resolotion is wastet on the Black Bars.

But when they put a Widescreen movie in Anamorphic it still lets you show it on a 4:3 screen but they use less Black Bars or where am I getting lost?

7. jedishrfu

Re: Video help -- Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

The Letterboxing link to wikipedia really describes it well:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?