1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Video help - Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    Video help -- Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

I converted a lot off my DVDs that are of 1970's TV show Land Of The Lost to avi files so I can watch them on my pc.

There is one setting for Aspec Ratio I do not get I know if I pick 16:9 this is for Wide Screen.
    And I know if I pick 4:3 this is for None Wide Screen Standard TV.

What is the optin Fully Expand and what is the option Animorphic for?

Please tell me in your own words and not a link I have been all over and I think if you just tell me what the two option do Fully Expand and Animorphic I will understand.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Re: Video help

anamorphic means a wide screen movie is squeezed into the 4:3 format but can be expanded to widescreen with the right playback equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

Also 1970's shows were probably broadcast in 4:3 format so saving it that way would be okay.

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3
    Re: Video help -- Fully Expand and Animorphic aspect ratios?

If Anamorphic makes a Wide Screen Movie to be played on a 4:3 TV then is this not LetterBox??

5. Jan 25, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

No, letterboxing is the practice of transferring film shot in a widescreen aspect ratio to standard-width video formats while preserving the film's original aspect ratio. (wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterbox

animorphic can still be expanded into a wide screen with no loss whereas letterbox has been reduced to fit 4:3 forever.

6. Jan 25, 2013 #5

Ok I looked up Anamorphic and Widescreen and I think I get it.

When they Letterbox a Widescreen Movie the Black Bars keep the 16:9 Ratio so it will fit on a 4:3 screen I get this.

And if I understand a lot of the Resolotion is wastet on the Black Bars.

But when they put a Widescreen movie in Anamorphic it still lets you show it on a 4:3 screen but they use less Black Bars or where am I getting lost?

7. Jan 25, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

The Letterboxing link to wikipedia really describes it well:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook