Viewing night sky in the middle of a major city

  • Topic: Stargazing 
  • Thread starter Thread starter BadBrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Major night sky Sky
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
BadBrain
Messages
196
Reaction score
1
Wouldn't do me any good. I live in the middle of a major city, and, the last time I looked at the night sky at my true local astronomical midnight, it looked like God had turned out the lights.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org


BadBrain said:
Wouldn't do me any good. I live in the middle of a major city...
As do I. But I prefer planets to stars. And it's not too bad for planets.

I'm lucky - I live right on the lake, which is to the south, so at least half my sky is relatively dark.
 


DaveC426913 said:
As do I. But I prefer planets to stars. And it's not too bad for planets.

I'm lucky - I live right on the lake, which is to the south, so at least half my sky is relatively dark.

I'm attempting to do exoplanet transit light curves with two streetlights about 100 ft away in both directions. I can't even see M31 near zenith here. :frown:
 


Drakkith said:
I'm attempting to do exoplanet transit light curves with two streetlights about 100 ft away

You will fail. Exoplanets are very far away. Much too far to transit in front of a streetlight.

: biggrin :
 


DaveC426913 said:
You will fail. Exoplanets are very far away. Much too far to transit in front of a streetlight.

: biggrin :

Unless it's planet Mothra. :biggrin: