Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vim colours in Mac OS X disappeared

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I open a C source file in vim in Mac OS X, syntax is no longer colour-coded. I think that this happened after I tinkered around with ~/.bash_profile. I did the latter because I was trying to get ls to use colours, and I found an article online that told me what lines to add to .bash_profile to get ls colours. But even after commenting out my additions to .bash_profile, the problem remains.

I'm not even sure where vim is installed. I think that I did not have it until I installed the Xcode developer tools (but I could be wrong). Does anyone know how I can restore the default colouring?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nevermind.

I turn on colours by adding the line "syntax on" to my /usr/share/vim/vimrc file.

It could be that I never had colours in vim on my mac and I was just confused (because I used vim on one of the linux boxes in my lab over ssh -- from my mac).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook