Vinegar & Soda Water: Strange Result?

• Thread starter scilover89
  • Start date
In summary, vinegar has some preservative compounds which can produce a white precipitate. Silicate acid is poorly soluble in water, and this might be the cause of the white precipitate in the experiment.
scilover89
Recently, I mixed vinegar and soda water together in a plate, but the result was confusing. Since soda water contain sodium silicate and sodium ash, the result should be soluble, as sodium salts always dissolve in the water. However, in the experiment, I get some white pieces which can't dissolve in the water. What is it?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Vinegar has some preservative compounds, I think the white pieces come from it. You wanted to do a neutralization, I suppose, I recommend that you do it with real chemicals to avoid side reactions (like those white pieces you saw in your experiment). You may be right about sodium salts' solubility, but consider that vinegar acid may produce silicate acid, which is poorly soluble in water.

scilover89 said:
Recently, I mixed vinegar and soda water together in a plate, but the result was confusing. Since soda water contain sodium silicate and sodium ash, the result should be soluble, as sodium salts always dissolve in the water. However, in the experiment, I get some white pieces which can't dissolve in the water. What is it?

Hmmm...by "soda water," what do you mean? Normally, that refers to a solution of CO2 in H2O, which is carbonic acid (a very weak acid). You add a little flavoring to make a carbonated beverage.

pack_rat2 said:
Hmmm...by "soda water," what do you mean? Normally, that refers to a solution of CO2 in H2O, which is carbonic acid (a very weak acid). You add a little flavoring to make a carbonated beverage.
I meant the solution of sodium carbonate and sodium silicate.

chem_tr said:
Vinegar has some preservative compounds, I think the white pieces come from it. You wanted to do a neutralization, I suppose, I recommend that you do it with real chemicals to avoid side reactions (like those white pieces you saw in your experiment). You may be right about sodium salts' solubility, but consider that vinegar acid may produce silicate acid, which is poorly soluble in water.
Yeah, the solution did contain sodium silicate as you predict earlier. So what could be the side effect chemical equation that produced silicate acid?
Anyway, thanks for your advice.

It is clear I think; silicate acid is very sparingly soluble in water, so white precipitates will form. Maybe the ones you saw were just silicate acid, who knows? You may try treating this solution with a base, and report if these precipitates disappear. Then you can conclude that this is probably silicate acid.

What happens when you mix vinegar and soda water?

When vinegar and soda water are mixed, a chemical reaction occurs. The acetic acid in vinegar reacts with the sodium bicarbonate in soda water to form carbon dioxide gas, causing the mixture to bubble and fizz.

Why does the mixture of vinegar and soda water produce a strange result?

The strange result is due to the chemical reaction between the two substances. The production of carbon dioxide gas creates the bubbling and fizzing sensation, giving the mixture a unique texture and appearance.

Is the reaction between vinegar and soda water harmful?

No, the reaction between vinegar and soda water is not harmful. Both substances are safe to consume and are commonly used in cooking and as household cleaners. However, it is important to note that the reaction can cause some irritation if it comes into contact with the eyes or skin.

What is the scientific explanation for the reaction between vinegar and soda water?

The reaction between vinegar and soda water is an example of an acid-base reaction. The acetic acid in vinegar is an acid, while the sodium bicarbonate in soda water is a base. When combined, the two substances neutralize each other, forming carbon dioxide gas, water, and a salt.

Can the strange result be replicated with other combinations of substances?

Yes, the strange result produced by mixing vinegar and soda water can be replicated with other combinations of substances. As long as there is an acid and a base present, a similar chemical reaction can occur, producing a similar result of bubbling and fizzing. However, the specific ingredients and proportions used may affect the intensity and duration of the reaction.