Forming Iron Oxide Quickly with Bleach and Vinegar

• Thread starter xonosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary: The test is terminated when the salt concentration in the solution falls to 2% (wet weight).The test is conducted in a darkened room to avoid light interference. The sample is placed in a small plastic cup. The cup is placed in the salt-copper solution and agitated until the sample is completely saturated. A small piece of the sample is then removed and placed on a stainless steel mesh. The mesh is immersed in the salt-copper solution and the weight is recorded. The sample is then withdrawn and the mesh is rinsed with water. The sample is then weighed and the corrosion rate is calculated.
xonosphere
I have heard that when Hypochlorite bleach and vinegar mix they react to create an even stronger oxidizer than bleach alone, that doesn't reach equilibrium as fast as bleach alone.

So, I wanted to make rust quickly for some experiments and tried this method with steel wool. Not kitchen steel wool with protective coatings, just plain steel.

I used about 1:1 bleach:vinegar, and noticed that the water started turning reddish-brown as soon as I added the bleach to the steel wool and vinegar already in a plastic container.

One problem with this is that the reaction appears to be creating heat which I hope doesn't get too intense.

Another thing I was hoping was that a bleach/vinegar mixture wouldn't create a kind of corrosive that could dissolve plastic. :confused:

Does anyone know if this is the best way to make quick rust? And if it has any side effects, such as becoming very corrosive to plastics?

I also know that the reaction between the vinegar and hypochlorite create chlorine gas, but this isn't a problem for me as I am doing this outside. :biggrin:

Thanks,

xonosphere

Chemistry news on Phys.org
try this solution called a CASS test: I causes wicked amounts of rust in a few days...
Test background:
The ASTM B 368 test method is used to determine corrosion resistance of various aluminum alloys. It is also used for testing chromium plating on zinc and steel die castings. It was developed specifically for testing decorative electrodeposited coatings of nickel/chromium and copper/nickel/chromium. Uses include research and development, specification acceptance, manufacturing control of product or process, and simulated service evaluations.

Test description:
A standard ASTM B 117 salt solution of 5 parts (by weight) of salt to 95 parts water is prepared. Reagent grade copper chloride dihydrate is then added at a rate of 1 gram to 4 litres of salt solution. The solution is mixed and atomized in a cabinet maintained 120° F (49° C). Fog is collected and tested, and the salt-copper solution is adjusted to a pH of 3.1 to 3.3 by adding reagent grade glacial acetic acid.

What is the purpose of forming iron oxide quickly with bleach and vinegar?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate a rapid and simple method for producing iron oxide, also known as rust, using common household chemicals. Iron oxide is a widely used pigment and is also important in various industrial processes.

What materials are needed for forming iron oxide quickly with bleach and vinegar?

The materials needed for this experiment include steel wool, bleach, vinegar, a container, and safety equipment such as gloves and goggles.

How does the reaction between bleach and vinegar create iron oxide?

The reaction between bleach and vinegar creates a solution of hypochlorous acid and acetic acid, respectively. When steel wool is added to this solution, the iron in the steel reacts with the acids to form iron(II) ions. These ions then react with oxygen in the air to form iron oxide, which appears as rust on the steel wool.

What safety precautions should be taken when performing this experiment?

It is important to wear gloves and eye protection when handling bleach, as it can be irritating to the skin and eyes. Additionally, this experiment should be performed in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes from the bleach and vinegar mixture.

Can this experiment be modified for educational purposes?

Yes, this experiment can be modified for educational purposes by varying the concentrations of the bleach and vinegar or using different types of steel. It can also be used to demonstrate principles of oxidation and reduction in chemistry or to discuss the properties and uses of iron oxide in different industries.