Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vinegar and Steel Wool Question

1. Mar 16, 2017 #1
    Hello. In my science class we had fun with steel wool and vinegar. So just for kicks I left the remains in a closed jar and shook it up every few days or so. Its been around 6 months and today I opened it just to see what was in there since the entire jar was pitch black. Inside was a dark silver mush that seems to be magnetic. I took some out of the closed jar to expose to the outside air to evaporate any remaining fluids and left it on a powerful magnet. What was left over was a dark magnetic, very fine caked powder. What exactly is it? Can this powder be introduced to anything to make a homemade version of ferro fluid? Thank ya kindly.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2
    It might be Fe3O4, known as magnetite or lodestone. But I've never heard of it being made that way.

Edit: it probably does contain Fe3O4, but I doubt if it's very pure. On the other hand it's probably fairly safe to experiment with.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted