Vinegar and Steel Wool Question

• Thread starter Scienceklutz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment using steel wool and vinegar, leaving it in a closed jar for 6 months. When they opened it, they found a dark silver mush that was magnetic. After further experimentation, they discovered a dark magnetic powder that may be Fe3O4, also known as magnetite or lodestone. They are curious if this powder can be used to make a homemade version of ferro fluid. However, it is unlikely that the powder is pure and it is advised to experiment with caution.
Scienceklutz
Hello. In my science class we had fun with steel wool and vinegar. So just for kicks I left the remains in a closed jar and shook it up every few days or so. Its been around 6 months and today I opened it just to see what was in there since the entire jar was pitch black. Inside was a dark silver mush that seems to be magnetic. I took some out of the closed jar to expose to the outside air to evaporate any remaining fluids and left it on a powerful magnet. What was left over was a dark magnetic, very fine caked powder. What exactly is it? Can this powder be introduced to anything to make a homemade version of ferro fluid? Thank you kindly.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It might be Fe3O4, known as magnetite or lodestone. But I've never heard of it being made that way.

Edit: it probably does contain Fe3O4, but I doubt if it's very pure. On the other hand it's probably fairly safe to experiment with.

Last edited:

What is the "Vinegar and Steel Wool Question"?

The "Vinegar and Steel Wool Question" is a scientific experiment that involves placing steel wool in vinegar to create a chemical reaction.

What materials are needed for the "Vinegar and Steel Wool Question" experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include steel wool, white vinegar, a glass jar, and a spoon or tongs for handling the steel wool.

What is the purpose of the "Vinegar and Steel Wool Question" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe and understand the chemical reaction that occurs when steel wool is placed in vinegar.

What happens when steel wool is placed in vinegar?

When steel wool is placed in vinegar, a chemical reaction occurs that produces hydrogen gas and iron acetate. The steel wool will also start to dissolve, leaving behind a brownish solution.

What are the potential dangers of the "Vinegar and Steel Wool Question" experiment?

The main danger of this experiment is the production of hydrogen gas, which is flammable. It is important to conduct this experiment in a well-ventilated area and avoid any sources of ignition. Also, the steel wool may cause irritation if it comes in contact with skin, so gloves should be worn when handling it.