Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Lost in Test Flight; One Pilot Reported Dead

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Not good.

http://www.weather.com/news/science/virgin-galactics-spaceshiptwo-reports-flight-anomaly-20141031

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

No, not good I heard that on the radio coming home.

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think this will dampen enthusiasm for space tourism. People have the attention span of gnats these days. I predict the number of rich people wanting to be an astronaut for a day will be much greater than the number of available spots available for quite a while.

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4

Evo

I should make that my signature!

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

It broke my steely little heart to see that on the news. Given the relative scale of resources and budgets between Virgin Galactic and NASA, I think that it's on par with the Challenger incident. Lisa LaFlamme (the hottest woman on TV, by the way) reported on the CTV nightly news that this was the first flight with a new fuel composition. I can't help wondering whether or not that was a driving factor. Maybe it was a tad too volatile and went off in the tank or pumping system...

7. Nov 1, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

I'm not sure. The accident gives them a death rate of about 5%. I don't think they will get many passengers unless they can show many more successful flights in the future.

8. Nov 1, 2014 #7

Danger

Gold Member

If they recruit only among smokers, they should have no issue with people who defy the odds...

9. Nov 1, 2014 #8

RonL

Gold Member

UH!...what were we talking about again ???

10. Nov 1, 2014 #9

Danger

Gold Member

:DD

11. Nov 1, 2014 #10

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I don't know how you calculate your percentage, but I think this was only the fourth powered flight (although there had been 31 glide drops).

12. Nov 1, 2014 #11

mfb

2016 Award

There is a huge difference between something that might kill you in several years and walking into a spacecraft that could kill you in an hour with a reasonable probability.

@Jonathan Scott: good point as the incident was probably powering-related. I saw a number of ~20 total flights somewhere. Anyway, the estimated risk is significantly higher than for other commercial things.

13. Nov 1, 2014 #12

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I'm quite impressed that one of the pilots survived, given what happened to the vehicle.

14. Nov 1, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

5% isn't a probability, it's a possibility. The only thing that will save my life is a lung transplant, but I'm not going to apply for one because the surgery has a 30% mortality rate. I have a better life expectancy without it than I do with it. Sir Richard's space buggy is a walk in the park.

15. Nov 1, 2014 #14

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Damn. And mankind was so close to shooting Justin Biber and Ashton Kutcher into space.

16. Nov 1, 2014 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I really liked Ashton in "That 70's Show", but once he started doing that nasty impractical-joke show I wanted him off of my planet.
    As for Beebs... from the perspective of another Canuck, I would like to rescind his citizenship and sink him off-shore to encourage the formation of a new reef that could support invertebrates of higher social value than him.

17. Nov 1, 2014 #16

RonL

Gold Member

Just need to make sure Mila stay here:nb)

18. Nov 1, 2014 #17

Danger

Gold Member

Oh my... yes! (Well, she's too old for me now, but back in the day... :w)

19. Nov 1, 2014 #18

RonL

Gold Member

Must be the affects of that cold weather?:)

20. Nov 1, 2014 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Probably. I was freeze-dried sometime back in the 70's and am just now becoming reoriented. (Maybe that's why I liked that show...)

21. Nov 1, 2014 #20

RonL

Gold Member

I think we have gone too far astray here:oops:
    The attention span of a gnat I think.:(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook