Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual reality video games

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    With some additional software and hardware modifications, this guy creates a virtual reality display using his Wii.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw&NR=1

Okay, so when are the new VR shooters cooming out? I'm tired of trying to peek around corners in vain.

The technology for this isn't exactly new, but I haven't seen any mainstream use of it. I think it would be ideal for a PC, where one user operates it. The applications for virtual reality could be useful for more than just video games. I would imagine this could be useful for any application where a visual representation is necessary, such as for viewing or creating any kind of schematics or touring real estate properties. The screen we are used to seeing flat images displayed on could be more like an empty window which we look through into another programmable reality.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thats pretty cool. Its amazing how it suddenly changes from being 2D to 3D with some simple movements.

4. Jan 18, 2008 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, he didn't really use the Wii.... just the Wiimote, a PC with Bluetooth, and some IR LEDs. I don't have a Wii... but I did just buy a Wiimote and am awaiting my order of IR LEDs.

5. Jan 18, 2008 #4
    Yes. I would like to watch a movie like that.

6. Jan 18, 2008 #5
    Why do I get the feeling we may see something like that in the next generation or two of consoles?

7. Jan 18, 2008 #6
    We can only hope! Looks pretty easy to setup, wonder why Nintendo didn't do this in the first place.

8. Jan 18, 2008 #7
    Thats fantastic!

9. Jan 18, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it could easily be implemented on the current generation of consoles.

10. Jan 18, 2008 #9
    Can I ask what application you are intending to use this for? I'm not very familiar with programming. Wouldn't the software for each application have to be specifically programmed for VR? As Kurdt said, it could be easily implemented on current consoles, but without any games that use it is there any reason to make the modifications yourself?

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. Considering the number of hits for that video I'm surprised I haven't heard about this before.

edit- I thought I put this in GD. Just out of curiousity, was it moved?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  11. Jan 18, 2008 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am going to try to control a VPython scene in various ways with a Wiimote
    ... using the embedded IR-camera (or maybe a pair of cameras with two Wiimotes)
    ... using the accelerometers
    On a broader scale, I am trying to visualize in real-time data acquired with a computer.

12. Jan 28, 2008 #11
    I stumbled upon Johnny Chung Lee's page some time last month. Pretty fun stuff, I must agree. I whipped up my own Python + win32 package. It will end up on my homepage sooner or later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?