Online Schooling: Is it the Right Option?

• Schools
  • Thread starter J77
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of online schooling and its potential benefits and drawbacks. While some argue that it could be a good option for certain groups of students, others believe that it is important for students to physically attend school and learn social skills. The conversation also brings up the idea of distance learning and how it can teach important skills such as self-motivation. Ultimately, there is a difference in opinion on the effectiveness of online schooling and its place in the education system.
J77
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5382994.stm

I don't see this being a good idea.

Kids spend too much time in front of screens already plus the system is said to be an option for:

* bullied children who need their confidence rebuilding
* families living abroad who want an English education for their child
* children with physical or personal health barriers
* children who have been home-educated

As far as the 1st and 3rd options go - imo, these kids should be in school, surrounded by other kids. School's not just about learning, it's about learning how to interact in different social situations; learning how to cope for later life.

The 2nd point: send them to an international English school - again they need the interaction.

The home-education is another thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have to agree with you. I do not see many, if any advantages to online schooling with teacher support. I see a lot of disadvantages to it as well.

But, that being said, school by correspondance can be an excellent idea for some people. I was never bullied in school, not am I psychologically/physically disabled, but I am doing all of my course work at home, with no one pushing me except myself. I dropped out of high school and in the middle of a school semester, wanted to finish my high school, but had to do it via correspondance since I obviously could not enroll with a school mid semester. It has totally changed me.

There is absolutely NOONE pushing me, except me. If I don't do my course work, no one gives a crap, it's my life. This is how the real world is. You won't have a teacher asking you to do your work, you will just get fired by your boss. Distance learning can teach you skills that you may never learn in high school. I find that a lot of friends I know still procrastinate after high school. I blame this on high school "due dates", assignments must be handed in at a certain date. With distance education, your teacher doesn't care, finish it whenever you want, if you want to graduate at 30, fine. lol. My marks are in the high 80's - 90's now and I am easily able to motivate myself.

So yea, I agree that having a class room on the net is counterproductive, but it is a step in the right direction. I feel strongly the duty of motivation should be placed on the shoulders of the student, not the school system, as that's just not how the real world works!

There's not much of motivation in teenagers :\
I, as current high school student, would find such online school complete non-sense. As J77 correctly noticed, school is also about learning how to live in society and communicate.

1. What are the advantages of online schooling?

Online schooling offers a flexible schedule, the ability to study from anywhere, and access to a wider range of courses and programs. It also allows for personalized learning and can be more cost-effective than traditional schooling.

2. Is online schooling as effective as traditional schooling?

Research has shown that online schooling can be just as effective as traditional schooling, as long as the curriculum and teaching methods are high-quality and engaging. Students also have the advantage of being able to learn at their own pace and in a comfortable environment.

3. How do online schools ensure academic integrity?

Online schools typically have measures in place to prevent cheating, such as proctored exams, plagiarism detection software, and strict guidelines for submitting assignments. Additionally, students are expected to adhere to a code of conduct and academic honesty.

4. What technological requirements are needed for online schooling?

In order to participate in online schooling, students will need a computer or device with internet access. Some courses may also require specific software or programs. It is important to check with the specific online school for their technological requirements.

5. Can students still have a social experience with online schooling?

While online schooling does not offer the same in-person interactions as traditional schooling, many online schools have virtual social platforms for students to connect with each other. Additionally, students can participate in extracurricular activities and events offered by the online school or in their local community.