Virtual Work to find equilibrium condition

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension T needed to hold a cart in equilibrium on an incline with no friction using virtual work. There is a discussion about correctly defining the system and finding the correct relation between the horizontal displacement of the incline and the vertical component of the block's displacement. Ultimately, the virtual work relation TX = WH is used to solve for T.
Ren

Homework Statement

Find the tension T needed to hold the cart shown (pic included) in equilibrium, no friction. Using virtual work, and force components.
(I don't care about signs, just looking for the magnitude of tension with quick reasoning)
(not homework, just studying virtual work)

Homework Equations

Variables:
Incline angel Theta = 30 degrees. Mass on incline has weight W. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using force components I get the solution given in the book. My work in included in 2nd pic. I identify the horizontal component of Wcos(theta) as the force that must be balanced by Tension. This horizontal component of W is W*cos(30)*sin(30) = √3W/4, correct.

Not my main question, but I'm wondering how this makes sense. To me, it seems wrong since this component, Wcos(30)sin(30), is already canceled by the horizontal component of W*sin(30). Meaning the component I circled in my 2nd pic, labeled with T, is not really there since one could argue that the component of weight along incline, Wsin(30), has an equal and opposite horizontal component. What happens to this 2nd horizontal component, W*sin(30)cos(30) that would be pointing to the right?

My main question is how to solve this using virtual work.
My first thought was to equate the work done by the Weight as mass falls a vertical distance H, with the work down by tension as large cart moves horizontal distance X. Being 30 degree incline, X = √3 H. But setting these works equal : T*X = W*H gives me T = W/√3. To me, I really want to look at the work done by tension in moving the cart a horizontal distance, that seems natural, but I don't know what component of weight over what displacement I should take as the balancing work, if it's not what I have above. I could try component of Weight along incline, Wsin(30), dotted with vertical distance H, so I would need to multiply by cos of angle between them (60 deg), so: (W/2)*H*cos(60) = (W/4)H, set this equal to tension work, T*X, but this still gives (W/4)*H = T*√3 H, T = (W/4)(1/√3), this √3 is still in the denominator.[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 657
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Ren. Welcome to PF!

For your first question, I believe you need to be careful in defining your system. You can take the incline alone and balance the external forces on the incline. Or you can take the incline and block together as "one object" and balance the external forces on that object.

For your second question, I don't think you have the correct relation between the horizontal virtual displacement of the incline (X) and the corresponding vertical component of the virtual displacement of the block (H). Once you get that right, your virtual work relation TX = WH should give the correct answer. It helps to note that due to the constraint of the rope, the block must move along a circle.

1. What is virtual work?

Virtual work is a concept in mechanics that involves calculating the work done by a force or multiple forces on a system. It is a theoretical approach that allows us to determine the equilibrium condition of a system by considering the work done by virtual displacements.

2. How does virtual work help find equilibrium condition?

Virtual work helps find the equilibrium condition of a system by allowing us to calculate the work done by different forces on the system. By considering the work done by virtual displacements, we can determine if the system is in a state of equilibrium or not. If the net virtual work done by the forces is zero, then the system is in equilibrium.

3. What is the significance of virtual work in engineering?

Virtual work is a fundamental concept in engineering that is used to analyze and design structures and machines. It helps in determining the stability and equilibrium of a system, which is crucial in the design process. Virtual work is also used in various other applications such as finite element analysis and optimization.

4. Can virtual work be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, virtual work can be applied to all types of systems, including mechanical, electrical, and thermal systems. It is a universal concept that can be used to analyze the behavior of any system, regardless of its complexity. However, the calculations may vary depending on the type of system and the forces involved.

5. How is virtual work different from actual work?

Virtual work is a theoretical concept that involves calculating the work done by forces on a system through virtual displacements. Actual work, on the other hand, refers to the work done by forces on a system through real displacements. Virtual work is used to determine the equilibrium condition of a system, while actual work is used to calculate the energy transfer in a system.