Viscosity of Fluid Mixtures: Calculating Pa.s

  • Thread starter Thread starter flash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Viscosity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
flash
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I have a question about the viscosity of fluids: If I know the viscosity of one fluid, say 1 Pa.s, and I add a portion of water (say for example 1 part water to 9 parts fluid), viscosity 0.89 × 10^-3 Pa.s, what is the viscosity of the new mixture? I have done an experiment for school where we mixed corn syrup with water in different concentrations (90%, 80%, etc) and need to work out the viscosity of each mixture.
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to do a weighted average? I'd imagine that, if the two fluids are well mixed, you could just use that method.
 
Thanks for the reply. I think I know what you mean. Are you sure that's an ok way to do it?
 
For Newtonian fluids I think it's fine; to be honest, I've never come across a situation where I've had to do that, but I can't think of a reason off the top of my head that it wouldn't be at least reasonably accurate.