1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualizing lattice/atoms in cubes?

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a lot of questions about body-centered, face-centered, diamond, zincblende, etc structures and how many atoms are in a face, or on the 100, 110, or 111 plane. I just want to know in general how I should visualize these. For example, why are there only 2 atoms in the 110 place of GaAs(which is meant to be a Diamond lattice?)

I have trouble seeing how there isn't more then the numbers listed for all the different structures.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 12, 2015 #3
    I found a book that explained it better with pictures, I think I understand it now. Thanks for asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted