Voltage drop across connecting wires?

In summary, the problem discusses running an apparatus 95 m from an electric outlet and finding the voltage drop across the connecting wires and the voltage applied to the apparatus. The wires have a resistance per unit length of 0.0065 Ω/m and the apparatus draws 2.9 A. Using the equation V=IR, the voltage drop across the wires is calculated to be 1.79 V. The voltage applied to the apparatus is then found to be 118.23 V using KVL. However, it is unclear if the 2.9 A is the rated current or the actual current drawn during operation.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

Suppose you want to run some apparatus that is 95 m from an electric outlet. Each of the wires connecting your apparatus to the 120 V source has a resistance per unit length of 0.0065 Ω/m. If your apparatus draws 2.9 A, what will be the voltage drop across the connecting wires and what voltage will be applied to your apparatus?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

For voltage drop:
Rwire=.0065(95)=.6175Ω
V=IR=2.9*.6175=1.79*2(to apparatus and back)=3.58V which was wrong.

I got the answer to what voltage will be applied to your apparatus which was:
Rapparatus=V/I=120/2.9=411.379Ω
Rtotal=Rapp+Rwire=41.379+.6175=41.996Ω
Itot=V/Rtot=12-/42=2.85A
V=ItotRwire=2.85*.6175=1.764V
120V-1.764V=118.23V

Physics news on Phys.org
ooohffff said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you want to run some apparatus that is 95 m from an electric outlet. Each of the wires connecting your apparatus to the 120 V source has a resistance per unit length of 0.0065 Ω/m. If your apparatus draws 2.9 A, what will be the voltage drop across the connecting wires and what voltage will be applied to your apparatus?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

For voltage drop:
Rwire=.0065(95)=.6175Ω
V=IR=2.9*.6175=1.79*2(to apparatus and back)=3.58V which was wrong.

I got the answer to what voltage will be applied to your apparatus which was:
Rapparatus=V/I=120/2.9=411.379Ω
Rtotal=Rapp+Rwire=41.379+.6175=41.996Ω
Itot=V/Rtot=12-/42=2.85A
V=ItotRwire=2.85*.6175=1.764V
120V-1.764V=118.23V
They may be looking for the voltage drop across each wire individually.

SammyS said:
They may be looking for the voltage drop across each wire individually.
Yup, you're right. It's V=(2.9)(.6175)=1.79V

The problem statement is ambiguous about whether the 2.9 A for the apparatus is meant to be its rated current at 120 V, or if it's the actual current drawn when in operation at the end of the 95 m cable. The latter seems to be the case if the voltage drop on the cables is correctly calculated using that current value. Knowing the source voltage and the cable voltage drop, KVL will tell you what's left for the load...

1. What is voltage drop across connecting wires?

Voltage drop across connecting wires refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs as electricity travels through a wire. This is due to the resistance of the wire, which causes some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat.

2. Why is voltage drop across connecting wires important?

Voltage drop across connecting wires is important because it can affect the performance of electrical devices. If the voltage drop is too high, it can lead to decreased efficiency and potential damage to the device.

3. How is voltage drop across connecting wires calculated?

Voltage drop across connecting wires can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula V = I x R.

4. What factors affect voltage drop across connecting wires?

The main factors that affect voltage drop across connecting wires are the length and diameter of the wire, as well as the material it is made of. Longer wires and thinner wires will have a higher resistance, resulting in a higher voltage drop.

5. How can voltage drop across connecting wires be reduced?

Voltage drop across connecting wires can be reduced by using thicker wires with lower resistance, minimizing the length of the wire, and using materials with higher conductivity. It is also important to properly install and maintain the wiring to ensure there are no loose connections or damaged wires, which can increase resistance and lead to higher voltage drop.