1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage drop over an independent current source?

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am supposed to give a thevenin equivalent circuit to the one posted in the picture.

2. Relevant equations

V=IR
    KVL: "voltage drops around a closed loop sums to zero
    KCL: "current into a node equals current out of a node"

3. The attempt at a solution

The part I'm confused about is the node and wire I've circled in red. I know since the wire coming down from the node is connected to ground that the bottom of the wire has V=0... I also know that the voltage drop across the current source is = Voc... but Voc has the higher voltage on top which would mean the current source is forcing current to flow from low voltage to high voltage...

Can someone please help me understand?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Current sources will make their specified current flow regardless of the potential difference. That's how they can supply power to a circuit. If you think about it, voltage sources do the same thing, moving charges from a lower potential to a higher potential.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    Okay! That makes sense; thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted