Volterar operator is Vf(x) = int (f(s)ds,0,x)

• Thread starter Nusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the volterra operator Vf(x) can be defined as Vf(x) = int (f(s)ds,0,x), and its adjoint operator V*f(x) is defined as V*f(x) = int(f(s)ds,x,1). The definition of an adjoint operator is the unique operator that satisfies <Ah,k>=<h,Bk>. This tells us that we need to integrate from x to 1. Using this definition, we can show that <Vf,g> = int^{x}_{0} f(s) \overline{g(s)}, and by integrating by parts we can see that <Vf,g> = f(s)g(s)|^{x}_{0} -
Nusc
Given that the volterar operator is Vf(x) = int (f(s)ds,0,x)

The adjoint of this operator is

V*f(x) = int(f(s)ds,x,1)

How do I show this ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, I would think by using the definition of "adjoint operator"! Which is?

If A in B(H,K), then the unique operator B in B(K,H) satisfying u(h,k) = <Ah,k>=<h,Bk> is called the adjoint of A.

How does this definition tell you that you integrate from x to 1?

Well, I guess now the question is "How is <u, v> defined?"

[tex] <f,g> = \int f(x) \overline{g(x)} dx dy [/tex]

and given that

[tex] Vf(x) = \int^{x}_{0} f(s) ds [/tex]

[tex] <Vf,g> = \int^{x}_{0} f(s) \overline{g(s)}[/tex]

Here we have to integrate by parts.
[tex] <Vf,g> = f(s)g(s)|^{x}_{0} - \int^{x}_0 f(s)g(s) ds[/tex]

I'm still don't see where the integral from 1 to x arises or how I get rid of g

Last edited:

Let k:[0,1]X[0,1]-> R be the characteristic function of {(x,y);y<x>}. The corresponding operator V: L^2(0,1)->L^2(0,1) defined by

Vf(x) = int k(x,y)f(y)dy on [0,1] is called the volterra operator.

That was the textbook definition. Then they note Vf(x) = int f(y) dy on [0,x]

as with most online sources.

What's the later tell you?

I"m sure I just use the later.

When integrating by parts when do you switch the order of integration?

First let's make sure we've answered Halls' questions, Nusc.

You have: [tex]\langle f, g \rangle = \int_0^1 f(x) \overline{g(x)} \, dx[/tex]
and: [tex]Vf = \int_0^x f(s) \, ds[/tex]

Now, you want: [tex]\langle Vf, g \rangle = \langle f, V^\ast g \rangle [/tex]. The task being to find [tex]V^\ast[/tex]. You have actually been given a [tex]V^\ast[/tex], so are only required to check it.

The left-hand side of this equality translates to
[tex]\int_0^1 (Vf)(x) \overline{g(x)} dx = \int_0^1 \left( \int_0^x f(s) ds\right) \overline{g(x)} dx[/tex]

We may write this as a double integral: [tex]\int_0^1 \int_0^x f(s) \overline{g(x)} \, ds \, dx \; \; \; (\ast)[/tex]

Noting that the required right-hand side is of the form
[tex]\langle f, V^\ast g \rangle = \int_0^1 f(t) \overline{(V^\ast g)(t)} dt[/tex]
(where t is an arbitrary parameter: above we used 'x')

we see from (*) that finding [tex]V^\ast[/tex] just requires one to switch the order of integration: take t=s; we want ds dx to become dx ds.

There is no "integration by parts" required. This work comes solely under "double integrals".

1. What is the Volterra operator?

The Volterra operator is a mathematical operator used in functional analysis to map a function to its definite integral from 0 to a given value x. It is represented by the symbol Vf(x) and can be written as Vf(x) = ∫x0f(s)ds.

2. How is the Volterra operator different from other operators?

The Volterra operator is different from other operators because it represents the integral of a function rather than a derivative or a linear transformation. It is also non-linear and non-continuous, making it a unique and powerful tool in mathematical analysis.

3. What is the significance of the Volterra operator in mathematics?

The Volterra operator has many applications in mathematics, particularly in functional analysis, dynamical systems, and differential equations. It is used to study the properties of functions and to model complex systems in physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can the Volterra operator be applied to all types of functions?

Yes, the Volterra operator can be applied to any continuous function. However, it is most commonly used with functions that are integrable and have certain regularity properties, such as differentiability.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Volterra operator?

Yes, the Volterra operator has many real-world applications, such as in signal processing, control systems, and image analysis. It is also used in economics to study the dynamics of market systems and in physics to model the behavior of complex physical systems.