Divergence Theorem and shape of hyperboloid

In summary, there is a minor detail in the answer for a previous exam task involving the divergence theorem that the speaker cannot fully understand. The figure given is a hyperboloid with a radius of 1 at the bottom circle and a radius of 2 at the top circle, going from z=0 to z=sqrt(3). The vector field used is F(x,y,z) = xi + yj + zk. The task is to find the integral of F*n on the curved surface of the figure. The speaker used the divergence theorem and found the integral of the entire figure to be 6*sqrt(3)*pi, with the integral of the bottom circle being 0. However, there is confusion about the integral of
Mountain1
Hello!

I have been doing a previous exam task involving the divergence theorem, but there is a minor detail in the answer which i can't fully understand.

I have a figur given by ${x}^{2} +{y}^{2} -{z}^{2} = 1$ , $z= 0$ and $z=\sqrt{3}$

As i have understood this is a hyperboloid going from $z=0$ to $z=\sqrt{3}$ and the radius goes from $r=1$ in the bottom circle to $r=2$ in the top circle.

I also have a vectorfield $F(x,y,z) = xi + yj + zk$

The task is then to find $\int\int F*n$ on $S$ where $S$ is the curved surface of the figur.

I then used the divergence theorem. Found $\int\int\int \operatorname{div} F dV$ to be $6\sqrt{3}\pi$ and $\int\int F dS$ of the lower to circle to be 0.

Then comes the problem. The integral of the top circle which is $\int\int z dS$ where $z=\sqrt{3}$. This means that the integral is $\sqrt{3} * \text{Area of the circle}$. Which I thought was $A= 4\pi$ with $r=2$.

The answer however suggests the radius is $\sqrt{3}$ which I find a bit hard to understand. Because when I put in $z=\sqrt{3}$ into ${x}^{2}+{y}^{2} -{z}^{2} = 1$ i get $r=2$.

Can someone please help me understand ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same thing.

What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical concept in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume. It states that the total outward flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume.

What is a hyperboloid?

A hyperboloid is a three-dimensional surface that can be generated by rotating a hyperbola around one of its axes. It is a quadric surface, meaning it is defined by a second-degree equation in three variables. In particular, a hyperboloid is a ruled surface, which means it can be created by a straight line moving along a curved path.

What is the shape of a hyperboloid?

The shape of a hyperboloid depends on the specific equation used to define it. Generally, a hyperboloid can have three possible shapes: elliptic, parabolic, or hyperbolic. These shapes are determined by the coefficients in the second-degree equation that defines the hyperboloid.

How is the Divergence Theorem applied to a hyperboloid?

The Divergence Theorem can be used to calculate the flux of a vector field through a hyperboloid. By calculating the divergence of the vector field and integrating it over the enclosed volume of the hyperboloid, the total outward flux can be determined. This can be useful in many applications, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem and hyperboloids?

The Divergence Theorem and hyperboloids have many practical applications in engineering and physics. For example, they can be used to model and analyze the flow of fluids through pipes and channels, the distribution of electric charge in a region, and the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They are also used in computer graphics and 3D modeling to create realistic shapes and surfaces.