Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume 2 of Burckel's Book on Complex Analysis

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    I have a copy of Robert Burckel's An Introduction to Classical Complex Analysis, Volume 1. What happened to volume 2? The introduction to volume 1 contains a description of the contents of volume 2. It also contains the table of contents of volume 2. The beginning of volume 1 lists some of the other math books available from the same publisher (Academic Press) and volume 2 is on that list. However, as far as I can tell, volume 2 doesn't exist. It isn't available from any major online used book service. It isn't listed in the Library of Congress (although volume 1 is present). Does anyone know the story behind volume 2?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

jcw99

Gold Member

He's still on the faculty at Kansas State U., according to the website, if that helps.

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3
    Thanks for your reply. I found prof. Burckel's email address, but decided to post the question here rather than ask him directly. I don't know him and don't know how he would react to being contacted by some random person on the internet.

5. Mar 2, 2012 #4
    I have generally found that professors who have authored books will be happy to respond to an email that starts something like:

"Dear Prof. ______,

I greatly enjoyed your textbook ______ Volume 1; however, I have been unable to find any copies of Volume 2. If you have time, could you tell me if it has been published and, if so, where I might purchase a copy?"

Throw in some book-specific compliments if they make sense to you.

Charm is the most important tool of any career. Learn to use it!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook