Volume and Diameter Increase of Balloon in Stratosphere: Physical Chem Question

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
chemnoob.
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the factor by which the volume and the diameter of a balloon would increase as it rose from sea level and 20 degrees celsius to the stratosphere at 40km.


Homework Equations



PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't think I have enough information to solve?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dont use pv=nrt
here take as you have a volume temperature relationship
so it would be v1/t1=v2/t2
and your t1 should be 293K (20 Celsius) and your t2 would be 270K assuming that the conditions in the stratosphere are at STP. and of course your v1 is 0 and your v2 is unknown :)
hope it helped or at least what the question is asking
 
Maz88 said:
dont use pv=nrt
here take as you have a volume temperature relationship
so it would be v1/t1=v2/t2
and your t1 should be 293K (20 Celsius) and your t2 would be 270K assuming that the conditions in the stratosphere are at STP. and of course your v1 is 0 and your v2 is unknown :)
hope it helped or at least what the question is asking

Don't I need to consider pressure? So I would use p1*v1/t1=p2*v2/t2. But I would need to be able to calculate pressure difference based on height? Any idea on how to do that?
 
youre right you need to consider pressure, but i think that since its not mentioned in the question then you got to assume that it is constant.