Volume of Frozen Water: Effects on Water Level

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential changes in water level when a quarter of a given volume of water is frozen. The information provided shows that the frozen quarter will have 89.5% of its volume underwater, and when added to the remaining water, the total volume will be slightly less than the original amount. However, it is stated that the person debating with the speaker believes that the water level will not change when the ice melts, and this is confirmed to be correct. It is clarified that while the volume of the system may increase when the ice melts, the amount of water displaced by the ice is equal to the volume of the ice outside of the water,
mattakun
Hello,

I have been having a debate with someone that is driving me insane...
Here is the problem

http://www.ra31v1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water1.JPG
Lets say we have 20,000m^3 of water like the image above.

If we were to freeze a quarter of it. what will happen to the level of the water, eg, will it rise, drop or will it stay the same?

The information I have looked up states that on freezing water it expands by
9% and also that floating ice on water will be 89.5% underwater.

http://www.ra31v1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water2.JPG

Here we have frozen a quarter which would then become...

http://www.ra31v1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water3.JPG
with 89.5% underwater and 10.5% above the surface of the water.
so now I can say that 89.5% of 5450m^3 = 4877.75m^3 is under the surface of the water.

so now if you add the remaining 3 quarters of water 15,000m^3 to the frozen quarter that's underwater 4877.75m^3 you get:

15,000m^3 + 4877.75m^3 = 19877.75m^3 total

originally before freezing a quarter there was 20,000m^3, and now after freezing there is 19877.75m^3 so this must mean that the water level will drop slightly.

However, the person I am having a debate with seems to think differently, she believes that if you freeze a quarter like we have done the level of the water will not rise or fall, it will stay exactly the same.

PLEASE will someone clarify this.

Thanks very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mattakun said:
Do you have a reference for these values? They are not consistent. If you freeze a block of pure water such that it floats, it will displace a volume of water equal to its original volume. If the original volume is 1 unit, and it expands by 9% when frozen, it's new volume will be 1.09 units. 1/1.09 = 91.7% will be underwater.
However, the person I am having a debate with seems to think differently, she believes that if you freeze a quarter like we have done the level of the water will not rise or fall, it will stay exactly the same.
She is correct. Just like an ice cube floating in a glass of water--when it melts, does the water level change?

mattakun said:
Hello,

I have been having a debate with someone that is driving me insane...
Here is the problem

http://www.ra31v1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water1.JPG
Lets say we have 20,000m^3 of water like the image above.

If we were to freeze a quarter of it. what will happen to the level of the water, eg, will it rise, drop or will it stay the same?

http://www.ra31v1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water2.JPG

Here we have frozen a quarter which would then become...

http://www.ra31v1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/water3.JPG
with 89.5% underwater and 10.5% above the surface of the water.
so now I can say that 89.5% of 5450m^3 = 4877.75m^3 is under the surface of the water.

so now if you add the remaining 3 quarters of water 15,000m^3 to the frozen quarter that's underwater 4877.75m^3 you get:

15,000m^3 + 4877.75m^3 = 19877.75m^3 total

originally before freezing a quarter there was 20,000m^3, and now after freezing there is 19877.75m^3 so this must mean that the water level will drop slightly.

PLEASE will someone clarify this.

Thanks very much

Sorry
But your friend is correct.the ice cube floats ie a bit of it is outside water. Now definately the volume increases of the whole system but the amount by which the volume increases is exactly equal to the volume of ice outside water. now try to push the icecube in the water and definitely the water level would arise

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does the volume of frozen water affect water levels?

The volume of frozen water can have a significant impact on water levels. When water freezes, it expands, taking up more space. This means that when a significant amount of water freezes, it can cause an increase in water levels. This is especially significant in bodies of water such as lakes or rivers, where a large amount of frozen water can lead to flooding.

2. Can the volume of frozen water decrease water levels?

In some cases, yes. When water freezes, it takes up more space and can cause an increase in water levels. However, in colder climates, a large amount of water can freeze and remain frozen for extended periods of time. This can actually decrease water levels, as the frozen water is not able to flow into other bodies of water.

3. How does climate change affect the volume of frozen water and water levels?

Climate change can have a significant impact on the volume of frozen water and subsequently, water levels. As temperatures rise, more water is melting and entering bodies of water, causing an increase in volume and water levels. This can lead to flooding in some areas. On the other hand, in colder regions, climate change can also cause a decrease in frozen water, which can lead to lower water levels and potentially droughts.

4. Is it possible for the volume of frozen water to cause a rise in sea levels?

Yes, the volume of frozen water can contribute to a rise in sea levels. This is due to the melting of glaciers and ice sheets, which release large amounts of water into the oceans. This can have a significant impact on coastal regions and low-lying areas, potentially causing flooding and displacement of communities.

5. How do scientists study the effects of frozen water on water levels?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the effects of frozen water on water levels. This includes satellite imagery, field measurements, and computer models. By collecting data on the volume of frozen water and its impact on water levels, scientists can better understand the potential consequences of climate change and make predictions for the future.