Volume of solid from rotating x=y² and x=1 about x=1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
theBEAST
Messages
361
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given x=y^2, x=1 what is the area of the solid when the area between the two curves is rotated about x=1.

The Attempt at a Solution


I attached my solution and according to the answer key my area formula (pi-pi*y^4) is wrong. Instead they have pi*(1-y^2)^2. Can anyone explain why my area formula is wrong? I thought that it was the area of the upper boundary curve minus the area of the lower boundary curve...
 

Attachments

  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement


Given x=y^2, x=1 what is the area of the solid when the area between the two curves is rotated about x=1.

The Attempt at a Solution


I attached my solution and according to the answer key my area formula (pi-pi*y^4) is wrong. Instead they have pi*(1-y^2)^2. Can anyone explain why my area formula is wrong? I thought that it was the area of the upper boundary curve minus the area of the lower boundary curve...
What method are you trying to use? Is it disks? ... or is it shells?