Volume of solid x^2 + (y-1)^2 =1 about y-axis

In summary: I then integrate this function over the correct limits and I'm done.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid given by x2 + (y-1)2=1 rotated about the y-axis. The person is unsure whether to use the shells or cylindrical method and has attempted the shell method with some difficulty. Another person offers guidance, suggesting that the problem may be better solved using disks rather than shells. They also mention the importance of considering symmetry in the problem and suggest drawing sketches to better understand the problem. The final answer should be (4pi)/3.
BethW86

Homework Statement

Hello, I am to find the volume of the solid given by x2 + (y-1)2=1 rotated about the y-axis. I may use either shells or cylindrical method. I attempted shell method, but am just learning this, still foggy and this is the one question that isn't coming out right.

Homework Equations

My understanding is that with shells, my rectangles are placed parallel to the rotation axis?

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the equation and solved for y, so that y=+- sqrt(1-x2)+1
I set up my integral as pi INT[-1,1] x(sqrt(1-x2)+1) dx
I'm not sure my integration is correct: pi [1/2sqrt91-x^2)x +x+1/2sin^-1(x)] |-1 to 1
When I did this, I got (pi^2)/4. The books says I should get (4pi)/3
Thanks so much for any direction. Feel free to use simple terms, I'm new at this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
BethW86 said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I am to find the volume of the solid given by x2 + (y-1)2=1 rotated about the y-axis. I may use either shells or cylindrical method. I attempted shell method, but am just learning this, still foggy and this is the one question that isn't coming out right.

Homework Equations

My understanding is that with shells, my rectangles are placed parallel to the rotation axis?
The way you have things set up, it looks like you are using disks, not shells.
For each disk, the volume is ##\Delta V = \pi (radius)^2 \Delta x##.
Here, the radius of a typical disk is the y-value that you show below, minus 1. The radius squared would then be 1 - x2. This leads to an integral that is simpler than what you show below, plus, it gives the correct answer, always a good thing!
BethW86 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the equation and solved for y, so that y=+- sqrt(1-x2)+1
I set up my integral as pi INT[-1,1] x(sqrt(1-x2)+1) dx
You can exploit the symmetry of the rotated object (a sphere) and take twice the volume as x ranges between 0 and 1.
BethW86 said:
I'm not sure my integration is correct: pi [1/2sqrt91-x^2)x +x+1/2sin^-1(x)] |-1 to 1
When I did this, I got (pi^2)/4. The books says I should get (4pi)/3
Thanks so much for any direction. Feel free to use simple terms, I'm new at this :)
The book's answer is correct. The volume of a sphere of radius 1 is ##4\pi/3##.

Last edited:
Likes BethW86
Thanks so much, that helped!

When I do problems where something is being rotated around an axis or other line, I draw two sketches: one of the region that is being rotated, and another of the solid that results. In the latter drawing, I add a sketch of the typical volume element. I then calculate the volume or area or whatever of this element, which pretty much gives me my integrand.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid with the equation x^2 + (y-1)^2 =1 about the y-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid with the equation x^2 + (y-1)^2 =1 about the y-axis is V = π∫(1-x^2)dx.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the volume of this solid?

The limits of integration can be determined by solving the equation x^2 + (y-1)^2 =1 for x and then setting those values as the limits for the integral.

3. Can this formula be used for any solid with a similar equation about the y-axis?

Yes, this formula can be used for any solid with a similar equation about the y-axis, as long as the limits of integration are correctly determined.

4. What is the significance of the π in the formula for finding the volume?

The π in the formula represents the constant pi, which is used to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution.

5. Is it possible to use a different axis to find the volume of this solid?

Yes, it is possible to use a different axis to find the volume of this solid. The formula for finding the volume would change depending on the axis of rotation chosen.