1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Volume ratio in an adiabatic gas expansion

1. Jun 9, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a perfect monoatomic gas at pressure $p_i$ 1.2 atm and temperature $T_i$ 300K, that is in equilibrium inside a cylinder having a volume $V_i=1L$ and which piston has a mass of 1kg and is at an height of 50 cm. Admit that a mass M=3.13kg is over the piston. When that mass is removed, the gas suffers an adiabatic expansion until a final pressure pf=1.04837, a final temperature Tf and a final volume Vf.

What is the value of Vi/Vf?

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

So my immediate thought was to use the equation of real gases
    $$pV=nRT$$
    ´
    We will have then
    $$\frac{p_iV_i}{T_i}=\frac{p_fV_f}{T_f}$$

But I also don't know Tf so I'm stuck. Can someone give me a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2018 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The expansion is adiabatic.

4. Jun 9, 2018 #3
    Yes I know that means the variation of internal energy is just the work done but how does that help...

5. Jun 9, 2018 #4
    @TSny if you want to be vague and leave without further explanations, please leave.

6. Jun 10, 2018 #5
    Forum rules prevent giving very explicit answers. In fact I sometimes think I'm too explicit. :smile::smile:

There is another important fact in the problem: gas is monatomic.
    Now with this information, what I would do would be to search in Google how the adiabatic processes behave.

7. Jun 10, 2018 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should know an equation relating to adiabatic volume changes.

8. Jun 10, 2018 #7
    @Granger ,

You need to have some patience and little more decency if you wish to interact on this forum .

You are wrong on several accounts .

1) You said , TSny is vague . I don't think so . You asked for a hint . He gave you a hint . You might not have found that hint helpful . In that case you could have requested him to elaborate his hint . He would have surely given you a more useful hint .

2) You presumed that he left you without further explanation .Do you realise your 2nd comment after TSny's reply came within 11 minutes of your 1st comment ? He might not have seen your 1st comment at all . Or even if had seen your reply he might have been in the process of replying you .It takes time to think and type in the response . Why be so impatient ?

Members here are not paid . It's their choice to help . You can't force somebody .

Even if you required an additional hint , there is a polite way to ask .

3) Asking TSny to leave , now that is so rude . Have some decency .This is not the way to react on a forum .

Presuming you have not interacted with TSny before, let me tell you he is a top class contributer on PF , surely one of the best I have seen .

So next time you write something on this forum , please show patience and decency .

Hope you will take this message in the right spirit .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  9. Jun 14, 2018 #8
    @TSny I want to apologize for my reaction on the other day. I was very stressed because I've been working for hours not figuring out how to solve the problem. Not that that can justify my rudeness. So my sincere apologies. I eventually figured out what yo meant with the hint that it was an adiabatic process (Q=0). I was not figuring out the expression for U in the case of an ideal monoatomic gas so I wasn't able to relate it with the work expression.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. Jun 14, 2018 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@TSny

11. Jun 14, 2018 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

No problem. Apology accepted. After posting my first reply, I was distracted by some personal matters. So I was not able to keep up my end of the conversation.Sorry for that. Glad you were able to solve the exercise.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted