Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volunteer radar gunslingers nail speeders

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-10-22-radar_N.htm

Just read this on yahoo. I dont know about you guys, but a 'warning letter' isnt going to stop me from going 50 in a 30.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 27, 2007 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know how they handle traffic in your city, but most major thoroughfares have speed limits over 30. 30 is usually for residential neighborhoods (although that's been lowered to 25 in most neighborhoods in the Springs). If you're going 50 through residential neighborhoods then you deserve a whole lot worse than a warning letter.

5. Oct 27, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. We have a few areas that are between 30-35 because it's a wider road NEAR a residential area, but not with houses directly lining it, or an industrial area with a lot of driveways entering, but if the speed limit is anywhere between 25-35, there's usually good reason for it...and it's that you can't stop in time for the little kid whose tricycle rolls out of the driveway, or chasing a ball without looking. If you're in a neighborhood and regularly driving 50 mph, your neighbors should want to do more than just send you a letter! :grumpy:

6. Oct 27, 2007 #5
    it was a JOKE. seriously though, whos going to be scared of a warning letter? whos to say that a neighbor that has something against you wont say that you were going 100 in the neighborhood (exaggerated). thats why it will never turn into an actual ticket, unless they catch it on film or something of the likes.

7. Oct 27, 2007 #6
    what ***holes.... no ambitions and they hate life so they sit by the side of the road and try to make life miserable for others... losers.

8. Oct 27, 2007 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Actually, students at Unity College have been doing the same thing for some months in an effort to get people to stop speeding through the down-town. In rural towns, this isn't such a bad idea because we can't afford our own police forces and the county sheriff's deputies and the state police are spread VERY thin. I live on a back road. The speed limit is 45, and the weight restriction is 60,000 lbs gross weight. We are routinely dodging fully-loaded pulp trucks (easily exceeding 100,000 lbs) doing 55-60 mph. Such heavy trucks are murder on lightly-built back roads and they cost the taxpayers $$$$ in maintenance costs, and there is no way that a speeding 100,000+ lb truck is going to stop in time to avoid a collision with another vehicle or avoid a child chasing a frisbee or a ball.

Trucking is very important to our forestry industry, and the truckers need to stay efficient to make a decent living, but when they take high-speed short-cuts through these narrow back roads (no shoulders, not even painted center-lines) they will eventually kill someone and THEN there will be a crack-down. It will take a death to prompt action.

9. Oct 28, 2007 #8
    Sucks to be you then but I will never never live down paying a 230 dollar ticket for going 55 in a 50 - I hate cops with a passion =X where I live there is virtually no crime and the local police spend ALL their time issuing minor traffic tickets and busting kids for smoking pot.

Like I said - losers.

10. Oct 28, 2007 #9
    Around where I used to live, there were tons of roads that were 30mph zones, and yet were very wide roads with fences on the sides and no incoming traffic or anything. Everyone goes around 45 down those roads...

11. Oct 28, 2007 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure not all people who break traffic law and use illegal substances are losers...

12. Oct 28, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Good one! I am pretty sure that people who would like to deter people from exceeding the speed limits past their homes by 15-20 mph are not losers, either. They have to be willing to give up their time and effort to make a point, and hope that their efforts will help protect pedestrians, playing kids, and other motorists. The State Police would not issue me a set of truck scales and give me the authority to stop heavy traffic on my back road, but I'll guarantee that if they did, I could stop 40,000+ lb overloaded rigs from shooting through here in a week or two. The scofflaws are stealing from us and endangering us.

13. Oct 28, 2007 #12
    right, and I'm sure those same people take care to never ever exceed the speed limit as well, just like the cops who blaze by at 90+ mph on highways without even their emergency lights, and then turn around and issue speeding tickets - not just losers, but hypocrites :rolleyes: I'll never have respect for people like that

14. Oct 28, 2007 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've never been fond of the strict adherence to speed limits. If one were to try and adhere to them all perfectly you'd do nothing but look at your speedo causing more crashes. In fact wasn't there a study saying far from lowering accidents speed cameras increased them because people were too busy looking at their dash boards?

15. Oct 29, 2007 #14
    Hmm. Now that i think about it, i understand what you mean because when im going through a 20 MPH school zone, i usually keep my eyes 50/50, on the road and the speedo. Good point.

And to the person talking about cops going 90 on the highway. today i saw a cop zoom by without emergency lights on. he was at least going 60 in a 45, hypocrites indeed. i always wondered what would happen if you were behind a cop car without its lights on going the same speed as he was. could they give you a speeding ticket knowing that you were going over the speed limit?

16. Oct 29, 2007 #15

Yes, they have a rear radar.

As far as going the same speed as you without their lights on, they do this on a routine basis and it is called pacing. As illegal as the practice may be on the surface, it is a very wide spread tactic and even has laws written that support it. An officer has to "pace" you (basically follow you within a certain distance) for a specific amount of time above the speed limit in order to issue a speeding ticket without the use of a radar gun.

Of course the courts literally always rule in favor of the officer in traffic citations. The only way to get out of a ticket is for the officer not to show up.

Honestly I hate hate hate cops =X. If they actually kept people safe it would be great, instead they just harass people.

17. Oct 29, 2007 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Literally? I'm sure there exists at least one counterexample. :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no sympathy for someone complaining that they got penalized when they were caught breaking the law. I don't think you're condemnation of police is warranted; you're just bitter you got caught.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  18. Oct 29, 2007 #17
    Hurkyl, just because a law exists doesn't mean it is just - don't assume that I've been caught for anything, you don't know a thing about me.

I simply make observations about my surroundings. I've been personally HARASSED by cops many many many times, though I've only ever received one ticket (for driving 55 in a 50 no less....)

I've been pulled over in the middle of the night because "my tires looked bald."

Yeah... right. I was pulled over because I was profiled as likely trouble (a younger man driving at night). Thats only one example among many - and I'm far from the only one who's fed up with this kind of behavior. Very very few people will stick up for someone who winds up on the wrong side of the law (prime example: you) - innocent or not. Just look at the number of innocent people on death row over the years. They do this kind of bull**** on a regular basis around here.

19. Oct 30, 2007 #18

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't assume. You said yourself that you have been ticketed for speeding. Also, you have been complaining about other people being caught.

In general, why would one attempt to defend an illegal act?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  20. Oct 30, 2007 #19

Ok. Again: Just because a law exists does NOT MAKE IT JUST.

Secondly: What I was trying to explain is that not everyone who winds up on the wrong side of the law is actually guilty.

21. Oct 30, 2007 #20

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unless you intend to argue that the notion of a speed limit is unjust, I don't see any relevance to this thread.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, being on the "wrong side of the law" means that you are guilty. (And a quick internet search confirms my understanding)

But again this is just a red herring, since you have been talking about people who were speeding (and were using illegal substances).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?