1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Von Braun and contribution to space travel [no maths]

1. Mar 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Oh well I'll post here ...
    There is no mathematics here. It's history based.
    This question may appear in one of my Physics exams.
    I just need to verify if my exam response is accurate, as I omitted irrelevant information such as how von Braun forged papers to escape from Nazi Germany and surrendered to American forces and so on.

2. Relevant equations

Identify data sources, gather, analyse and present information on the contribution of
    Tsilokovsky, Oberth, Goddard, Esnault-Pelterie, O'Neill or von Braun to the development
    of space exploration.

3. The attempt at a solution

Before World War Two the young engineering student named Werhner von Braun dreamed of
    the possibilities of space exploration by reading science fiction.
    von Braun had developed a liquid-fuelled rocket during World War II which was in the form
    of the V2 ballistic missile used by Hitler to attack London.

After his surrender to the American forces near the end of World War two he had become an
    American citizen who developed ballistic missiles for the US Army.

In the 1960's he was transferred to NASA where his dreams of space exploration became true
    as well as taking man to the moon.von Braun was the chief architect of the Saturn V launch
    vehicle which propelled the American crew of the Apollo II to the moon. The purpose of the
    Saturn rockets was to carry heavy payloads into and beyond Earth orbit. In 1975, before von
    Braun's death he was awarded by the Notable Laureates of the National Medal of Science for
    his work on making the liquid fuelled rockets a practical launch vehicle and his own
    contributions to the advanced space vehicle and culminating the Saturn series which made
    the Apollo program possible. The Apollo space progrsam director Sam Phillips had an
    amended quote that without von Braun,American would haven ever reached the moon.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2007 #2
    make sure to spell his name right; also important IMO was that the first serious rockets flown in the US were V2's brought over with him and many other engineers. He and his team also developed the jupiter and redtone rockets. The Saturn V was his crowning achievement, but a lot of the development groundwork was done with the rockets developed while he was with the army.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?