VSEPR Model for AsH3 and OF2: Understanding Molecular Geometry

In summary, AsH3 is a trigonal pyramidal molecule with a lone pair of electrons. OF2 is a linear molecule with two unshared electron pairs.
kasse

Homework Statement

What is the geometry of AsH3 according to the VSEPR model?

The Attempt at a Solution

As has 5 valence electrons and H has one. The molecule therefore has four sets of electron pairs, whereof one is unshared. This gives a tetrahedral structure where the As-H angles are 107 degrees.

However, according to the solutions manual the geometry is triangular planar. Why?

I also have a problem with the geometry of OF2. Here, there are four sets of electron pairs, whereof two are unshared. I would expect the geometry of this molecule to be bent, but it's linear according to my book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the OF2, I think it is due to the formal charges. O and F are both negative, where in the case of H2O the O is neg and the H is +. This is my first year of chem, so I may be wrong.

kasse said:
1. As has 5 valence electrons and H has one. The molecule therefore has four sets of electron pairs, whereof one is unshared. This gives a tetrahedral structure where the As-H angles are 107 degrees.

However, according to the solutions manual the geometry is triangular planar. Why?

I also have a problem with the geometry of OF2. Here, there are four sets of electron pairs, whereof two are unshared. I would expect the geometry of this molecule to be bent, but it's linear according to my book.

For AsH3 you are on the right track - keep thinking about the shape - but your solution manual is wrong

For OF2 you are correct and the manual is wrong again

eli64 said:
For AsH3 you are on the right track - keep thinking about the shape
Hm, I couldn't figure it out.

shape depends on atoms

kasse said:

Homework Statement

What is the geometry of AsH3 according to the VSEPR model?

The Attempt at a Solution

As has 5 valence electrons and H has one. The molecule therefore has four sets of electron pairs, whereof one is unshared. This gives a tetrahedral structure where the As-H angles are 107 degrees.

yes electrons are in the tetrahedral arrangement and dictate the arrangement of the outside atoms. so what shape has 4 pairs of electrons, 1 unshared and 3 outside atoms?

Sorry to be digging up old threads but is the answer Trigonal Pyramidal for AsH3 ?

I can't say with absolute certainty; but yes, I would conclude that AsH3 is trigonal pyramidal, like Ammonia. As it has three bonds to Hydrogen, and a lone pair.

Yes AsH3 is pyramidal, as the lone pair wants as much space as it can get, and the largest angle it could have from the other atoms would be on top of the molecule. leaving the other hydrogen atoms in a trigonal pyramidal shape.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/AX3E1-3D-balls.png
shows what it would look like, w/ the yellow atom being the lone pair.

1. What is the VSEPR model and how does it work?

The VSEPR (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion) model is a theory used in chemistry to predict the shape and geometry of molecules. It is based on the idea that electron pairs in the valence shell of an atom will repel each other and arrange themselves in a way that minimizes this repulsion, resulting in a specific molecular geometry.

2. How does the VSEPR model explain the molecular geometry of AsH3 and OF2?

The VSEPR model predicts that in AsH3, the central atom (As) is surrounded by three bonding pairs and one lone pair of electrons. This results in a trigonal pyramidal shape with a bond angle of approximately 107 degrees. In OF2, the central atom (O) is surrounded by two bonding pairs and two lone pairs, resulting in a bent shape with a bond angle of approximately 109.5 degrees.

3. What is the importance of understanding molecular geometry?

Understanding molecular geometry is important because it can affect the physical and chemical properties of a molecule. For example, molecules with different shapes may have different boiling points, melting points, and reactivity. Additionally, the shape of a molecule can also affect its biological activity and interactions with other molecules.

4. How can the VSEPR model be used to determine the polarity of a molecule?

The VSEPR model can be used to determine the polarity of a molecule by looking at the overall molecular geometry and the polarity of each individual bond. If a molecule has a symmetrical shape and all bonds are nonpolar, then the molecule will be nonpolar. However, if the molecule has an asymmetrical shape or contains polar bonds, then the molecule will be polar.

5. Are there any limitations to the VSEPR model?

Yes, there are some limitations to the VSEPR model. It does not take into account the presence of lone pairs, which can have a slight influence on the molecular geometry. Additionally, the VSEPR model assumes that all electron pairs are equally repulsive, which may not always be the case. In some cases, other factors such as bond angles and electronegativity may also need to be considered to accurately predict the molecular geometry.