What Is the Actual Bond Angle in SeCl2 According to VSEPR Theory?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MysticDude
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bond
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 29K views
MysticDude
Gold Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Predict the actual bond angle in SeCl2 using the VSEPR theory.
a. more than 120°
b. between 109° and 120°
c. between 90° and 109°
d. less than 109°


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


So I tried to draw the Lewis Structure of the chemical and then the model of it. I also know that lone pairs made the bond angle smaller by about 2°.

I hope that this is the right structure:
[PLAIN]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7538/pretest4num4.png

Since the bond angle of a tetrahedral molecule is 109.5°, I would think that it lowered bond angles would be around 90° to 109°.

Any help is appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hate to answer when I am only partially sure. Intuition tells me you are OK.
 
yes you are correct. the lone pairs reduce the tetrahedral ideal angle of 109.5o between atoms by about two or four degrees, depending on the individual atoms bonded together. So generally you are correct to assume that D is right.